Large Brass Hawk

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Large Brass Hawk

Postby billy whittle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:44 am

Has anyone else seen the brass Hawks being sold by Barry Port ? They look fantastic . I ordered one back in Nov and he has just let me know it is ready. It looks really good and well made so it will be an addition to all the other memorabilia i am starting to amass. Can anyone remember (or still have) the plaques we were given when we came back from NI in '78 / '79 ? . mine was destroyed thanks to a leak while my things were in storage but i have just managed to get one off e bay for £2.99.... bargain :D :D .

atb Billy

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Re: Large Brass Hawk

Postby FERDY » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Was the Plaque not £5.51 + £2.75 postage Billy ?, thats what whoever bought it paid, starting bid was £2.99 !

It was going to be an item for this years auction at the reunion, had my bid been successful, but, took my eye off the ball, and went to Bernie's Funeral.

Glad it came back to the 'Family' though.

Pete Farrell
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Mine is in a box in my attic that I havent got round to unpacking. Did you know that Bill Butcher posed for that Plaque.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Postby billy whittle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Pete,
Your right it was £5.51, sorry to have pinched it from you :D . have to think of something else for the auction.

Phil,
Didn't know that about Billy posing for it, makes it a bit more special now.

atb Billy :D :D

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Billy, it's not a problem, it was dated after my time in NI, so was not for me, I did not want to see it go to some Militaria collector.

I saw it as a way of returning it to the 'Family' and at the same time hopefully making a few bob for the Noah's Arc funds, via the Auction.

Notwithstanding all that, as I said, I am pleased it has returned to where it belongs!

I was unaware that it was Billy Butcher that posed for it.

On the Subject of raising funds for Noah's Arc, we are still on the scrounge for items to Auction at the Reunion, to help boost the funds of the club, so any items that may be of interest to other members that any of you may have lurking, would be gratefully received by Bob, myself, or any of the rest of your committee. or just bring them with you on the Reunion weekend, the Funds could do with it.

Pete Farrell
If you can stay calm when all around you is in Chaos, Then you have not properly understood the Situation!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

billy whittle

Postby billy whittle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey up Pete,
I try to buy something at all the auctions in B/pool. I'm still part way through restoring Brian Stockers pace stick. When i stripped back the old varnish and stain i found it was made from 2 different types of hard wood so i have to get the colour just right before putting a ghood varnish on it. I've cleaned all the brass work back to a good level but its too cold for me to be working in my shed at the moment :lol: :lol: anyway come the summer i'll start again and hopefully get it done. I'm now watching a Regt shield on e bay and hopefully thats my next purchase. See you in Blackpool .

atb Billy

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Postby tigger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:54 am

Billy

still have my original plaque and have stuck the little card we received with it to the back,

I was very saddened to see that plaque come up on E-Bay allways suggests that one of our comrades has fallen on hard times or has lost the faith. But very glad to hear it went to a worthy home and not some spotty collector who has never served and dosn't get It.

Cheers Trev

billy whittle

Postby billy whittle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 am

Hiya Trev,
I know what you mean. I always think the same when i see medals up for sale, I know people sell them to look after there familys and i cant fault them but i still think its sad that they have to do it when the Government do F***all to help. I was on a flea market in Rotherham and saw a purple heart for sale for £10, I know the yanks give medals out like sweets but a bloody tenner :!: :!:.

atb Billy

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Fellas,

I still have my Plaque hanging on the wall along side the Regimental Plate mentioned on another thread and my Silver Slaver from the Sgt's Mess.

Cheers

Mac

billy whittle

Postby billy whittle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:02 pm

Mac,
I have 6 Kukhuris on stands in the living room, 2 sheilds with crossed kukhuris and gurkha cap badges, 1 sheild i did myself with all the regts badges , and a large silver regt wire cap badge my sister got me from a flea market for my birthday about 15 yrs ago plus i still have the pace stick to finish and have a plate made with brian stockers details on. oh and then theres the tattered copies of the Hawk magazines and the Regt mug i had done for myself and a few of the lads, i still have some cap badges from the 14th , the 20th, 6 GR as well as ours of course. Kay keeps saying thats it no more little knowing I've just bought that plaque and waiting to see if i win the regt shield lol: :lol: :lol: .

atb Billy

ps I've finished reading your book , really enjoyed it so i'll bring it to the reunion. cheers

Mac McNulty
Site Admin

Postby Mac McNulty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Billy,

I should imagine there are a few houses looking like the Corporal's, Sergeant's ands Officer's Messes. I also have the 14/20th and King's Royal Hussars Prints plus the various Medals and Sports awards, etc, hanging up.

I have the family tradition of giving the Silver Goblets, Ramadi & Ramnuger Cups from my time in the Messes to my Grandchildren on their Christening. Ran out now so my latest is getting my Silver Tankard I got from the Lads of A Sqn KRH when I left the Regiment.

No worries about the book if you remember I will pick it up in April.

Cheers

Mac

billy whittle

Postby billy whittle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Hiya Mac,
I dont know if our David will want to keep all my stuff or not ( i hope he does :lol: ), he bought me the HK medal a few years back even though it cant be worn alongside my GSM it still makes a nice keepsake. Looking forward to finding more bits and piesces. :D :D :D .

atb Billy

Mac McNulty
Site Admin

Postby Mac McNulty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Bill,

I have left mine to the kids in my will so they are getting them whether or not they want them!! But I am sure they will look after the Regimental memories, they enjoyed their time in the Regiment as much as I did and they still keep in touch with a few of their childhood mates.

Cheers

Mac

trooper186
Service Details: JLR 75-76 BOVINGTON
HEAVY TRACK TROOP76- 77 BOVINGTON
HOHNE 77-81

Postby trooper186 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 pm

i myself have a back room that any hussar would feel very comfortable and at ease i think deep down we all have a little space in our homes for our memories weather long or short
im 5ft 2 and im 6ft tall
i fight with missles and with spears
im all of 31 but only 17 and iv
been a soldier for a thousand years

billy whittle

Postby billy whittle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

The "Hawk" I ordered arrived this morning and very nice it is too. It weighs about 1/2lb and stands on a rose wood stand in the hearth flanked by 2 khukuris. It looks the bees knees.( i was going to say the dogs but decided to be polite :lol: :lol: :lol: ) . I dont think anyone who has sent for one will be dissapointed.

atb Billy

Pic addes - BobH

Return to “General Chat”