GEORGE MAGGS IN HOSPITAL !!

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
DRACSS
Service Details: SERVED FROM 1961 TO 2001

GEORGE MAGGS IN HOSPITAL !!

Postby DRACSS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:32 pm

By pure accident , i found out today that GEORGE MAGGS is in hospital in Shaftsbury, after suffering from a stroke. He is responding to treatment at this present time and may be "in" for a few months.
Good old George, as you can imagine never told anyone, as in his words "did not want to cause a fuss", he stays away from the internet, consequently any get well wishes from Hawks may have to be the written or spoken word .
his hospital address is as follows

SHAFTON WARD
WESTMINSTER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
SHAFTSBURY
SP7 8BD

( TELE 01747 851535, BE NICE TO THE NURSE AND SHE MAY ALLOW A CALL)

I AM SURE THAT ALL HAWKS WILL JOIN ME IN WISHING HIM A SPEEDY RECOVERY :(
DRAC
DRAC. IF YOU WERN"T CAV, YOU NEVER WERE,

BLESS ALL HAWKS, WHEREVER YOU MAY BE..

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Re: GEORGE MAGGS IN HOSPITAL !!

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:20 am

Doctor Maggs is a wonderfull man I have his story of an incident between his crew and an 88 that he sent to my son Mike back in 92 after I met him in Bovi at a Ramnugger dinner hosted by Dick Whitelock the day before I handed my ID card in. Hope he is on the road to recovery.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:04 am

Join you in that Drac. Agree too with Phil - I love listening to his stories, what a varied and exciting life he has led.

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 am

Wish George a speedt recovery and all the best

Samuel & Irene Harrison

DRACSS

Postby DRACSS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Latest sitrep,
Spoke to George today. He is slowly recovering from his stroke, and his home (Farcombe Hall ) is being assessed by the Medical review system next week to confirm if it is accessable yo meet his needs.. if.. he is released in the near future. George seems to be straining at the bit to "do a cuckoos nest escape"
He asked me to pass on his sincere thanks for the comments and well wishes that he has gratefully received
DRAC

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey Boss
ask him if he would mind me putting up the tale of his encounter with an 88 that he sent my lad
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

DRACSS

Postby DRACSS » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:40 pm

HE SAYS HE WOULDNT MIND AT ALL
DRAC

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:54 am

And what about telling everyone that Mags 'invented' Galaxy Chocolate!
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:07 pm

This is a copy of a letter sent to my son Mike from Dr Maggs. It’s a bit long but well worth the read.

16/12/92

Dear Master Baldwin.

Thought you’d like to hear of the wartime incident that I told to your father. It was in the final stage of the war. We had to capture the town of Geilenkirchen where it was said, Jerry was going to make a “Wolfschanze” or sort of “last stand” with crack troops of the SS liebstandart Division. In order to soften them up a bit a”fire roller” was put down by 219 Heavy Bombardment Group of the U.S.A.A.C. (we were supporting Pattons 3rd Army at the time) using B17Esand a Squadron of Lancs.
We shot and machine-gunned our way through the F.D.L.s leaving them behind to be dealt with by the P.B.I. Into the town where things were (a bit not much) quieter.
We collected some P.B.I.s on our back but a passing shell took two of them off and the rest jumped off and took cover. I even had my head and shoulders out of the turret going down one street banging away with my Tommy-gun at anything that moved behind us. This included a rather big dog – the Jerries were not above tying a mine to them and let it blow up under a tank. Better to be safe than sorry.
Up ahead I saw cross-roads with the remains of tram wires. “Oho” I thought, “a main road and it will have a dirty great “88” at either end waiting to blow us to kingdom come” There was only one thing to do and so we did it. I told my driver Tpr Pepper (he was my “back shooter” as well” to “belt like b*****y” straight across it.
Now Tanks are slow and timid things and don’t like towns much (if at all!) They (quite rightly) consider them to be highly dangerous places to be gone round if at all possible but to be gone through quickly if not. This instruction was therefore received with universal approbation..
Down went Pepper’s clog 0n the Ki-gas pedal to the 27 litre engine (made by Rolls-Royce and developed from a Spitfire motor and would develop 1700 H.P.) and off we shot. We’d not quite reached top speed (alas for my cleverness!!) but our nose was clear into this wide straight road. When the smoke and dust from wrecked and burning buildings opposite cleared away by a sudden gust of wind to reveal a street, the one into which we were headed, which was completely and I mean completely blocked with a pile of rubble ten strong men couldn’t reach the top of! Impossible to get either through or over. It would have bogged the tank down and probably torn the tracks off (another reason tanks don’t like towns). Left of us about 400 yds up the highway I saw to my consternation and dismay a P.A.K.”88”!!! We were at its mercy! Soon would come the pounding of its shells making the hull a sodden hulk with us inside, all mixed up together Blood, bone and brain (not a lot of that really) guts and gristle, marrow and muscle all turned to mincemeat.
I shouted (down the intercom) to Pepper “Get us the hell outta here Pep” or something like that!! Pep slammed the stick shift into neutral and attempted a neutral turn ( This is when one track goes one way and the other goes in the opposite direction through a double differential and a two-train epicyclic in the gearbox) but we were going too fast. The tank skidded half way round and ended with a crunch against the granite kerb tilting up the tank so that I swear the left-hand track actually left the ground before settling back with a crash and a cloud of dust with which tanks always seem to be covered.
Like every good Tank Commander (!) I’d got my head out of the turret staring at I (and every tank crew) dreaded. A P.A.K”88”!! However I suddenly realised that round its wicked black outline the crew were seated Stopped in the middle of eating their lunch out of mess-tins and staring at us in open-mouthed amazement! I kicked Stan Marsh (my Gunner who now owns the Grand Hotel in Blankenburugh, Belgium – he married the then owners Daughter!) In the back shouting ‘Fire, ******* fiiiiireee!!
He stomped his foot on the firing pedal as I was kicking him (sometimes his back would be a mass of bruises from this rather bad treatment, it’s a wonder he didn’t complain to someone!) and off screeched a “75” H.E. Shell which he usually kept up the spout for town work. This missile hit the “88” amidships somewhere, blew the barrel off its trunnions and shredded the crew who never knew what hit them.
Pepper spun the tank round and we shot off back the way we’d come in case there was another one hanging about with which the P.B.I were better equipped to deal – or so we told ourselves. (Here follows a short lesson in Battle Tactics. The answer to the Tank is the Anti-Tank gun. The answer to the Anti-Tank gun is the P.B.I.. The answer to the P.B.I.. is the Machine-Gun. The answer to the Machine-gun is the??????? Yes!!!!!!! You’ve guessed right first time (but there are no prizes) the Tank!!)
……………………………………………………………………………………….

In 1958, 13 years after the war had finished, I went ski-ing in Lermoos, Austria, staying at the (then * but now *****) Hotel Edelweiss. The Head Waiter, knowing that I was (and still am) British, asked me if I’d mind sharing a table with a Kraut (An American word meaning Jerry which WE who’d been with the 3rd Army had more or less adopted). “Not at all” I replied and was soon seated next to a fine specimen of Nordic manhood, about my age or maybe a year or two older.
He told me he’d been in the USA for 3 years as a Vertrator (Representative, an occupation much more highly regarded than it would be over in the U.K.) for the Porsche Car Company and spoke excellent English in consequence.
We got on very well and when, after the meal, he invited me to join him in a drink at the bar I readily accepted. I suddenly noticed that he had the top half of the two middle fingers of his left hand missing and remarked that it must have been a nasty accident. “Yes it was” he said, “it was during the War, towards the end, I was the Officer in charge of a P.A.K. ‘88’ in Geilingkirchen”. “It was calm after a terrific bombing and we were having our lunch quietly, sitting round our gun when suddenly a dirty great tank, seemingly as big as a house, bristling with guns, the size of a battlewagon, whistled round the corner of a street, screeched to a shuddering halt – it came from simply nowhere –loosed of a single shot before we got ourselves together it exploded under the gun, blew it off its mountings, killed all of my crew, blew me into a house and blew these two finger off!!!!!”
“Oh yes” I replied, “rather nasty eh what?”

Sincerely yours,
George

Ex-Sgt., 14/20th. King’s Hussars
Je n'oublierai pas

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Phil.

Very interesting reading indeed amazing story .

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:14 am

ditto.

billy whittle
Service Details: 1970 - 1980. 'B'sqn HK and Herford and NI, 'HQ' sqn Herford and Bovington. 'Veh ' Sqn Bovington, 'D'sqn Hohne, and NI then 'HQ' sqn till demob,

Postby billy whittle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Phil, one hell of a war story.... beats ''we were sitting in a ditch in south Armagh'' any day .

ayb Billy

DRACSS

Postby DRACSS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Spoke to George yesterday, by phone, as he was sitting outside the hospital in the sun and in a wheelchair.Recovery is taking its time, however he hopes to be back at "The hall" in the next two weeks. :D
Sadly due to present stroke long term state, we may never see him at the Noahs Arc Reunion for quite a while. :(
He is improving , and thats the main thing
DRAC

DRACSS

Postby DRACSS » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I am happy to report that George is now out of hospital, sadly , shortly after returning home,to Farcombe Hall he suffered yet another stroke, slighly worse than last time. He is sticking to his guns (as he always did) and is fighting to stay at home, where he is being well looked after . he has now become a Zimmerman, and no doubt it will be a while before we see him at reunions.He is determined to attend in the near future).
He asked me to pass on his very best wishes to you all , and is sincerely gratefull for all the kind thoughts and cards that he has recieved
Drac

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Thats Great news
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Return to “Regimental Chat”