nick names

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Butch

nick names

Postby Butch » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:43 pm

AFTER READING MOST OF THE REPLYS FROM EX HAWKS ITS GOT ME THINKING HOW NICK NAMES CAME ABOUT WITH SOME OF THE LADS. I WAS ALWAYS CALLED BUTCH BECAUSE I HAD RATHER LARGE FRONT TEETH AND A DRILL PIG AT CATTERICK SAID HE HAD A PET RABBIT THAT LOOKED LIKE ME. THE NAME STUCK, WELL FORGET THE OBVIOUS SCOUSE, JOCK,LOFTY,PADDY,CHALKY ETc I KNEW A CHINNY BURNS CHIN LIKE BRIAN LONDON.SEXY SEFTON. HORSEY- JOHNY HORSEPOOL JUST FOR STARTERS HOW DID FREAKS, QUASSIE, SWEETPEA ETC COME ABOUT GREAT NAMES SHOULD BE AN INTERESTING TOPIC BUTCH EX C SQDN ONE OF BILLYS BOYS 59-68 .

John Clements
Service Details: Joined 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1962 to 1968 Benghazi Tripoli Cyprus (un) homeheadquarters.

Postby John Clements » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Butch i think quassie came from when Phil was in the q m s

john

Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Postby Paul Keller » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Anyone remember Rick "Rigsby" Paine in B Sqn and RHQ troop??
When he came to B Sqn in '80, we were all out on Soltau. He got off the SQMS's wagon and came stumbleling over, to were me and Ken Bradley were having a brew. The way he moved had the pair of us in uproar, he could have been "Rigsby" from the hit comedy "Rising Damp" and the name stuck. Even when he was with RHQ, the Colonel, (Col Smales) knew him only as and only called him "Rigsby".
Anyone ever heard from him??????
Then it's Trooper this, an Trooper that
And Trooper how's yer soul?
But it's "Hawks are bloody 'ero's"
When the tanks began to roll!

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 pm

John
A long way out mate. When I first got to Hong Kong in 1970 I started in 3rd Troop B. Sqn Dave Salt was Troop Cpl The series of the HunchBack of Notre Damme had just started on the cable telly that the Pads used to get. He came in the following day and said you aint got a nick name Quassymodo will do for you and it stuck. I remember saying to someone about a year later who had just joined by which time I was in 5th Troop it was in the Naafi My names Phil my mates call me quassie. He said hello Quuassie. I said my names Phil my mates call me Quassie. I put him out of his misery a couple of minutes later and let him get a round in. The thing I found out about nick names was the quicker you accept them the quicker you are accepted + it was better than southern ba**ard. Man I must have had balls joining you lot never regretted one minute. You know when you make a split second decison thats what I did to join Lancashires finest. I couldent go the whole hog though I stuck with the Arsenal and never hid it. What a relief when "Stiches Wheeler joined another Gooner. I invite him to tell his story of how he got his nick name.
Stitches are your teeth still held together with cotton.
One more I dident know that spike Young was actually called John untill we got to Herford.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:32 am

This thread ran quite well once before on here, but was lost when the system had problems.

Anyway it's a good topic to resurrect Butch.

I was christened "Solly" by Ted Morris, who was 1st Troop Sgt, B Sqn in Benghazi 1964/65 ... Not too sure what sparked it off but I must have mentioned that I came/worked fairly close to the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester which had a large Jewish (Now Muslim) population.

Oh and my nose is possibly a bit yiddish.

And I've got short arms and deep pockets.

Maybe Ted can enlighten us.

He also christened Bill Griffiths, "Maggot" around the same time.

Maybe Ted should have been a vicar or priest !! All these christenings.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Nick Names.

Postby williamo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

:? A couple I remember!
" Beans" Ross, Fruity Talbot, Paddy Moore, Taffy Davies,
"Legs" Lenton, "Duke" Harding, Scouse Dickinson, Wacker Hurst,
to name a few. :oops: Bill :roll:

John Clements
Service Details: Joined 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1962 to 1968 Benghazi Tripoli Cyprus (un) homeheadquarters.

Postby John Clements » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 pm

what about bones whitney?

john

cumbrian hawk

Postby cumbrian hawk » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Also what about stan getz, steve getz, hammy, lavey, parkey, chalky, johno, sugestive pats, benny, ned, Griff, daz walker,polly? to name a few from the band between 1980 -1991 :D

williamo
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Nick Names

Postby williamo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:24 pm

John, Now there is a name from the past "Bones Whitney" a SQMS was'nt he?

here is another John,
A very Portly Gentleman, ran the PRI Shop? Fred Winstanly!

John Clements

Postby John Clements » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:38 pm

bill he was RSM when i new him why bones?

john

williamo
1951-1964.

Nick Names,

Postby williamo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Thats right John he was RSM,it is amazing what a little jolt does to the memory banks.
Why "Bones" IF you ever saw him without his shirt on you would know the answer. Looked like a zylophone, and before you say it, I was at the beach when I saw him without his shirt! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Nick Names

Postby Arnie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 am

I think I have submitted this before but one of the 'greatest' characters in the Regiment was 'Wacker' Preece. Pile of conduct sheets at least an 2 inch thick. In Benghazi in 62 he was the AAC Troop Sgt and naturally it became 'Luftwacker' Preece. People in civvy street will never understand the British Army sense of humour.

Arnie :D

mauricedunning

nicknames

Postby mauricedunning » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 am

Butch, how about "Bodge" Brown....the C.O. how did he cop for that one?

Butch

nick names

Postby Butch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 pm

MAURICE I WELL REMEMBER BODGE BROWN NO IDEA HOW IT CAME ABOUT. WACKER PREECE I ALSO RECALL VERY WELL, THERE WAS ALSO A SGT SANSOM IN FIRST TROOP CALLED BLACK SAM BECAUSE OF HIS YELLOW TEETH. DONT FORGET ROTTY MORRIS FROM WIGAN. KEEP THEM COMING BUTCH EX C SQDN ONE OF BILLYS BOYS.

williamo
1951-1964.

Nick Names

Postby williamo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Our late departed friend Bill Denford, was better known as "Black Bill Denford", because of his dusky skin, Imagine getting away with that in this modern world.

Just a thought, is the Army governed by these crazy PC rules & regs,

if so I cannot imagine what a GMT Training Corporal would be like these days.

" Please Trooper will you get in line---thank You Trooper"!!!!
I think not, maybe you know the Answer?
Bill :D :oops: :lol: :) :o :roll:

Return to “General Chat”