Charlie Anthony Cornes RIP

Please DO NOT raise New Bereavements in this Forum, inform Admin of the details: peter-farrell@sky.com
Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Charlie Anthony Cornes RIP

Postby Paul W. Baker » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen

I am sorry to inform you all of the passing Charlie Anthony Cornes at 04:30hrs today at the Pendle Community Hospital.

After his time with the regiment he worked delivering whilst studying for his nautical skippers ticket. Once passed he worked delivering boats of many sorts and sizes world wide. The last 15 years he skippered very luxurious motor yachts in the Mediterranean.

On his retirement he moved to a small estate in Brierfield, East Lancashire as he enjoyed the company of the folk, the way of life and the countryside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can now confirm details of the Cremation service for SSgt Anthony Francis ‘Charlie’ Cornes, who passed away on Tuesday 13th September 2016, aged 72.

The service will be held on Friday 14th October 2016 at 3:00 pm, at Burnley Crematorium, Accrington Rd, Burnley, BB11 5QD.

No flowers please. Donations in Charlie’s memory will go to the British Dyslexia Association. A collection will be taken at the service and donations may also be sent via the funeral director, Helliwells Funeral Service Ltd, Stott House, Burnley Rd, Colne, Lancs, BB8 8LA..

Refreshments will be served after the service at Bentley Wood Farm Harvester, Accrington Road, Hapton, Burnley, BB11 5QH.

Charlie is survived by his brother, Peter and sisters, Deidre and Cecile.

The family plan to inter Charlie into the Regimental Columbarium in Barton, on Sunday 13th November 2016.

May he forever Rest in Peace.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Charlie Anthony Cornes RIP

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Begger,

I've just replied to Brians post about Charlie being in hospital and seconds later this appears. That went very quickly !

Oh well, knowing Charlie I guess he would have wanted it that way, no long drawn out sinking for Captain Charlie.

RiP auld lad.
PS ... next morning: I had a nip in memory of Charlie, as I do for all parted comrades (hic), it turned out to be half a bottle of good Bozkov Rum, pure. This morning one of Charlie's sayings was ringing in my ears:
"Has anybody seen a gorilla ?
where, what gorilla ...
the one that wrecked my room and shat in my mouth". He used to say, and now I know why :!:

Bob Winch
Service Details: JLR 1971-1973
14/20H 1973-1992
KRH 1992-1995

Postby Bob Winch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Sad news, I new Charlie was ill, but still, its a shock that he has passed away. Bill is right, he would not have wanted a long drawn out affair. I served with him in Cyprus, Hohne last time we saw him was at Totties when we went for a visit after Blackpool. RIP Charlie.

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 am

His real name was Anthony Francis Cornes, "Charlie" was a nickname given by members of the regiment and stuck. Visiting him on Tuesday afternoon in Pendle Community Hospital, I asked a nurse on the ward where I could find Tony Cornes, she looked at me blankly and only when I said "He is probably on oxygen" did she know who I meant. "Anthony, he's in here". I just can't believe it, leaving him in what appeared to be better health than when I saw him in Blackburn General Hospital.

As I've said elsewhere. R.I.P. Charlie. Remember winning the battle run in the Centurion dozer at Hohne with Charlie commanding, Pinky Lomas, Gunner, Ginge Fry, driver and myself, loader. Better days !

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 pm

RIP Charlie.

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Postby rick aindow » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:37 am

Another sad day in the family!

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Charlie's FUNERAL DETAILS from HHQ..........
Attachments
IMG_2434.PNG
IMG_2434.PNG (270.35 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Peter,

Thank you. An additional request from Peter Cornes (Charlie’s brother) is that those attending let him know on his email address PC@EZE.NET. It’s too late for me as the emails have already gone, but can you post it on your FB and website?

Best
Steve
Major (Retd) S Penkethman | Assistant Regimental Secretary | The King's Royal Hussars | Home Headquarters | Peninsula Barracks | WINCHESTER | SO23 8TS |
94271 5120 | 01962 828520| DII/F: RAC HQ-KRH-HHQ-N-RegtSecAsst | E-mail: RACHQ-KRH-HHQ-N-RegtSecAsst@mod.uk

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Postby mick burgess » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Another true regimental character leaving the family, one of my recollections of Charlie was when we were in Belfast Albert street mill A Sqn he was SHQ Tp Sgt. Charlie came into my office and said he was going up to raise the Sqn flag shortly after there was a burst of gun fire Charlie lying flat on the roof sheltering as the IRA had had a pop at him from Divis Flats. Luckily no one was a casualty.
We will all miss you old friend I thought he would have wished to buried at sea loving the high seas all his life.
Mick

Return to “Messages of Condolence”