Bill Woodcock

Please DO NOT raise New Bereavements in this Forum, inform Admin of the details: peter-farrell@sky.com
Paul Keller
Service Details: Hohne Nov '78 till June '85, Catterick June '85 till June '87, with six months Belize, March '86 till Sept '86.
Sennelager, June 87 till March '88, March '88 till Oct '90,

Postby Paul Keller » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:33 am

Like the younger members on the site, i never knew Billy during my regimental days, but did meet him at reunions and as Brads has already mentioned, the stories about him are legendry, real boys own stuff !
My deepest condolences at this sad time, like everyone else, truly shocked.

HarryandPam

Bill Woodcock

Postby HarryandPam » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:42 pm

It was with great sadness and surprise that we heard of Billy's passing.
I knew Billy from the time he joined the Regiment (another Scouse) and later when I took over the stables when he was the farrier. He also took over RP Sgt from me when I left.
So another Hawk will be missed at all future reunions. Our condolences go to Jackie and family.
Harry and Pam

sweetpea
Service Details: Jan 1971-1977
B sqd 2nd troop Honk Kong,Herford, stables
C sqd sqms Cyprus UN
Bovington

Postby sweetpea » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Totally stunned, just logged on for first time in weeks. Can`t believe this so sad news. All has already been said, the man was a legend, a quiet man, a fair man, and one not to be trifled with, I have good memories of him.
My condolences to his family, the world is a poorer place without guys like him.
God bless

BRICKY
Service Details: Transferred from Blues and Royals 1998, as a Corporal, Left as Warrant Offficer 2000.

Bill Woodcock

Postby BRICKY » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:04 pm

Having been with Bill and Jaqui (mother in law) the weekend before Bill died it has come as a heart shattering shock to the close family his passing. It is obvious that bill was held in high regard by everybody he came across from what ever walk of life. On moving to yorkshire he made many new friends and was first on the invite list to village parties with his wit,jokes and stories enjoyed by all. On a personel note Bill was a father in law to me without the marriage certificate, golf partner and shooting buddy. Nothing was a problem for bill and if he could not fix it ,he would bodge it until he could fix it. Life will never be the same again for the family, his love for Jaqui was their for all to see

we miss you,
I miss you,
Neal

michael blakey

Billy Woodcock

Postby michael blakey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

I am deeply saddened at the dreadful news of Bills death. It is a great loss to all who served with him and knew him. It is a greater loss for Jackie,Bill(jnr),Karen and their families and my thoughts are with them.

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Billy Woodcock

Postby Bulldog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Billy Woodcock

A truly, genuine person, who will be missed by all who knew him.

We will, however remember Him,

After all who could ever forget Billy Woodcock

Our condolences go out to His Family and close friends

Dave & Diane

Tarnish

Postby Tarnish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 am

I had the pleasure of getting to know Bill during his time as the RAF Support Unit small arms armourer at Boscombe Down. I'll always remember Bill for his wicked/"evil" sense of humour, his great generosity and he and my former chargehand Colin play fighting like a couple of kids! My thoughts and best wishes go out to Bill's loved ones at this sad time.

Marc Newell
Armament Technician
MoD Boscombe Down

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 am

Just got back from France and saddened to first open JC's letter informing of Bill's passing. Having just logged on for the first time in three weeks I'm not surprised at the tributes to Bill.

When I first met Bill at the Officer's Mess (Newmarket) in Benghazi, Bill was quite a scary sort of person, but as you got to know him with his dry wit and outspoken attitude you soon found out what a dependable person he really was. I'd put him on my list of those I'd have at my right hand side in an hour of need.

Condolences to Bill's family, I'm going to see if I can arrange my business committments to at least make the funeral.

RIP Bill, I'll miss your (tongue in cheek) sarcasm at reunions.

Bill Woodcock JNR

Postby Bill Woodcock JNR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Firstly my sister Karen and I would like to thank every body for their kind words for our Dad. We always knew he had a lot of friends and dare I say followers but I must admit that I am a little over whelmed at just how many and how much he meant to every body. I know that I speak for many when I say that Karen and I are missing him already so with the imminent approach of the funeral I thought that I would Thank All that can attend and thank those whose thoughts are with us. To those who we do not thank personally for attending please accept our apologies.
What can I say about Our Dad that has not already been said? Yes we thought he was indestructable and to us he will never be gone. We felt protected by him even if his way of protecting us was to some times throw us in the deep end. We know he was very proud of us even if he never said very often, if at all, We are immensely proud of him. We miss you.
SO! the only thing that I can think of saying that I feel befits him is

BILL WOODCOCK OUR DAD
WE LOVE YOU>

mdturner

Bill Woodcock

Postby mdturner » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:21 pm

I met Bill when he came to work as the unit armourer at Boscombe Down in the '90s.
He certainly was a character and good to work with, and over time until I left the Navy we had many laughs together.
I distinctly remember his discussions (arguments) with our resident REME Sgt about who was/had been in the proper army - and who finished up wearing a mug of tea!!
Also returning rifles to the RAF central depot, exceeding the speed limit and seeing a blue flashing light coming up fast behind us! Luckily they didn't stop us so we didn't have to explain why we had a boot full of weapons!! The reason for the fast drive was to get our bacon butties at his favourite roadside stall.
He made my leaving present in 1996 which I still have and it will bring back happy memories.
My condolences at your sad loss, Bill was a character who will be sadly missedby many.
Tops Turner

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 pm

Another Hawk passes to the Regt in the sky good turn out as expected sorry could not stay afterwards had to get my son home for 5 o'clock.

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:20 am

Bill JNR,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply to us at this sad time.

Although not the right occasion it was lovely to meet yourself, Karen, and the family yesterday. As expected, a great turn-out for a very popular man - we share your pride.

Bill Woodcock JNR

Postby Bill Woodcock JNR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:13 am

Jackie has asked that I post this for all.

I would like to thank every body for the tributes that have been
written for bill, they will give me great comfort in the months ahead.
Thank you to all who attened the funeral and your donations.
I feel very privileged to have shared part of my life with such a wonderful man our happiness was cruelly cut short.
Jackie.

hankwood698
Service Details: B Sqn-Herford-June 75. B Sqn-Heavy Track Tp-Bovy-76. D Sqn-Hohne-77 to 82(Oct). Track Section-Chertsey,Surry-Centurion& Challenger Driving Trials-Oct 82 to June 85. A Sqn-Catterick-85. B Sqn-Munster-88(inc. 1st Gulf War) & 9 month tour C Sqn-Berlin til Sept 91. Fountain St/Stockport Recruitng Offices-93 to 95.. Batus Safety Staff-7 months 95. RAC & H/CAV MDT 6 Months 96. Last 6 months in uk up to Demob Feb 97. Left with Rank of Sgt.

Billy Woodcock

Postby hankwood698 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:20 pm

So sad to hear of Billy's passing,only just found out. Condolances to all his loved ones. He was my SQMS in D Sqn and on many a smoker he taught me about the night sky with beer. Will be greatly missed.

Hank

BernieF

Re: Bill Woodcock

Postby BernieF » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 pm

So very sorry to here of Billy passing away i was only talking to Brian Duffy at the Renunion about when we were in Ireland at least i will always have these memories of a man who could make you laugh even in the darkest of circumstances

Return to “Messages of Condolence”