Rugby Gloves

League or Union. This is where you can chat about the oval ball.
Terry Murphy
Service Details: JLR 1965-1967
14/20H, C Sqdn, 1967
Demob - 1989

Rugby Gloves

Postby Terry Murphy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Just watched the highlights of the 2003 Rugby world cup and even though I obviously know the result it was still exciting stuff.
I only played at Sqdn. level so by no means do I consider myself an expert on the game, what I found interesting was Mat Dawson and Thomson the hooker were wearing fingerless gloves.
I can see the logic behind it if it helps you to grip a greasy ball and if the guys wore them in the final they must have felt comfortable with them.
Since then they seem to have disappeared, does anyone know why, all I can think is that they were banned by the RFU.

Terry

Dave W
Service Details: 1983 - 1989. Hohne - D Squadron / Catterick - Gymnasium / Munster - HQ Squadron.

Re: Rugby Gloves

Postby Dave W » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello Terry,

I think you've probably got the reason right for wearing them. Dawson was scrum half, and Thompson was hooker, so between both of them they were responsible for either feeding the ball in and out from the scrum or generally in open play, or, for throwing the ball in from a lineout.

Can't say I've noticed anybody else wearing them, but then again I haven't really been looking. I think Clive Woodward instilled absolute professionalism in that team, so maybe it was a psychological thing in terms of personal game preparation ? Who knows ?

Hope you're keeping well mate.

Terry Murphy
Service Details: JLR 1965-1967
14/20H, C Sqdn, 1967
Demob - 1989

Re: Rugby Gloves

Postby Terry Murphy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you and thanks for the info, Me and the family are all well, hope all is ok with you and yours, all the best

Terry

Return to “Rugby”