Lancasters England.

League or Union. This is where you can chat about the oval ball.
Dave W
Service Details: 1983 - 1989. Hohne - D Squadron / Catterick - Gymnasium / Munster - HQ Squadron.

Lancasters England.

Postby Dave W » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Although it was a good win against a poor Fijian side I'm not convinced Stuart Lancasters side have what it takes to compete with the big three Southern hemisphere sides at the moment. Against Australia, and Cole aside, the rest of the front five lacked steel and drive. Marler was wheeled at ease and continually lost his binding and from where I was sat isn't an international prop. Parling occasionally got a spurt on and got over the gain line. The back row are OK and Robshaw generally is strong and stoic.

England looked devoid of ideas on how to break through which is frustrating, because in Sharples and Ashton they have two very fast exciting wingers. Barritt and Tuilagi are both crash ball centres who use route one, whereas traditionally in the past England have had a crash ball centre paired with a flyer - (Woodward/Dodge, Carling/Guscott , Tindall/Greenwood.)

I'm hoping they turn it around for the Springboks and New Zealand, but they'll have to 'up' their will to win and rugby nouse to beat those two, home turf or not. The only plus side at the moment is that the Taffy's are playing worse than us which gives me a bit of peace from my crowing Welsh wife. :D

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Re: Lancasters England.

Postby Bulldog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Totally agree Dave, but time will tell.

Dave
Enjoy Life

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Dave,

Agree with some of your comments, Marler still needs a bit more time at International level its a massive leap, the backrow is as good as any around at the moment, not sure why we need to play South Sea Islanders in the England team plenty of good backs around without using them. Interchanging the half backs around like they do is not good for continuity in fact their is far too much swopping around, unfortunately thats the game today.

I believe the Premiership Teams have a lot to answer for much the same as the Premier League in Football bringing in these foreign players, it cannot be good for the National Side. I believe there are a couple of Scottish Players cannot get regular first team Rugby because of foreign players in the Club sides.

I also agree with Bulldog lets wait and see. I thought last year they had the makings of a good team and these days it goes in four year cycles for obvious reasons. Who ever wins the France and England game in the Six Nations will be Champions. But keep looking over your shoulder at Italy I have been impressed with their play.

Cheers

Mac

Dave W
Service Details: 1983 - 1989. Hohne - D Squadron / Catterick - Gymnasium / Munster - HQ Squadron.

Postby Dave W » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Hello Mac,

I see what you're saying about foriegn players and I think you're right. When I left the army and went to live in Gloucestershire, Gloucester RFC was primarily made up of Gloucester born and bred players with a very few exceptions. Gradually over the years that's been eroded with clubs across the top flight of Rugby Union buying players in.

I thought England played better against the Boks. The front five were more solid, and stood their ground which gave a better platform. They still struggled to get across the gain line a lot of the time, but if not for a lucky Boks try and possibly a bad decision in the last couple of minutes, they may have won quite easily. And why didn't Ashton just pin his ears back and go for the corner that time, instead of passing the ball 20 yards back. Easy to be an armchair critic, but they did play better.

Just the All Blacks next week now. Gulp.In a strange way I can see them stepping up to the plate against them and maybe even pushing them close. You never know.

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I predicted that the England Team would come good before the Springbok's game and how good were they? Although the All Blacks were not on top of their game probably because they were rattled from the start.

The Six Nations Grand Slam is a good bet now provided of course they keep their composure.

Taff, hard luck I thought you had the game won!

Cheers

Mac

Return to “Rugby”