Rugby league

League or Union. This is where you can chat about the oval ball.
Chopper
Service Details: 24012331 W R Griffiths
August 1964 to August 1986***Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth,
Aldergrove, Belize, Middle Wallop, Herford, Hohne, Canada, Detmold, N. Ireland
Middle Wallop, Discharge.

Re: Rugby league

Postby Chopper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 am

Widnes 48 Whitehaven 18
Another good display by a young Widnes team against probably quite a tired Haven outfit after their game last week against Barrow. This was Widnes's only easter game and they looked more determined and up for it then Whitehaven. Despite their injury problems Widnes were soon giving it to Haven, even after having a prop sin binned in only the second minute. Widnes scored two tries inside ten minutes with only twelve players on the field. This effort was a prelude for things to come in the first half. Slick passing, planned moves, everything Widnes tried seemed to work for them, mind you, Haven didn't help themselves with the number of penalties they needlessly gave away. Thirty points to eight at half time was a fair reflection of the way the game was progressing.
The second half saw Widnes ease off a little and Haven put more effort into their play. Paul Cullen, the Widnes coach, made some substitutions, probably thinking of the injury problems to key players and to prevent further injuries to those on the park. Ill fated though, James Ford the Widnes full back limped off with what appeared another hamstring problem, this being his first game for some weeks with this same problem.
The second half still went the way of Widnes, running in a further eighteen points to Havens ten.
My man of the match would have to be Ben Davies of Widnes, despite his early sin binning. For a teenager playing prop against some big Whitehaven players he never took a backward step.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 am

The St Helens versus Wigan derby will take place next season at the home of the MIGHTY WIDNES VIKINGS, the Stobart Stadium.
Well why not, Wigan used this great facility last season when Dave Wheelan, the DW Stadium owner, kicked the pie eaters out to allow the football team to use the place.
Saints will play their first few "home" games at Widnes until their new stadium is completed and ready for them.
A good advert for the Vikings super league admission. Having television coverage from a stadium that some of the present super league and championship clubs san only admire will surely boost the Widnes application.
I'll be cheering for the Saints even though I'm Widnes through and through.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Widnes 36 Toulouse 42
Granted jd, this is not a Super League team at Widnes yet, the difference is that the money from Sky TV/RFL that the championship clubs get is £300,000 and super league clubs get £1,500,000. Quite a big gap in affordable pay scales and therefore the money attracts the quality players, no brainer! Still, it's exciting to watch and there is light at the end of the tunnel for the Vikings.
Saturdays game against the French was both good and bad. In the first half Widnes were very bad, in the second half they were very good. Toulouse were very good first half and bad in the second. The referee was poor throughout.
To concede 30 points first half the defence of Widnes was non existence. Too many dropped balls, no determination in the tackle and far too slow in the line speed when Toulouse had the ball. Toulouse didn't have to work hard to get their points, Widnes gave them away. Another facet of the Vikings play in this half was the lack of direction, nobody was willing to take control and call plays to attack or organise the line to defend. Players who should know better were also making schoolboy mistakes of dropping the ball, looking at the man coming in to tackle them and not the ball and hanging off in the tackle, not good at all.
Toulouse were totally organised by their number 7, Nathan Wynn, in my opinion the man of the match. He controlled everything the French did, both in defence and attack. His kicking game was excellent both out of hand and place kicks. Seven out of seven conversions speaks volumes. Not only was his kicking good but he also scored two tries as well.
Second half was a turnaround performance by Widnes. Anthony Thackeray took control and was excellent in attack, scoring three tries. He ran at the opposition causing them onto the back foot allowing Widnes to gain ground time and time again. Jim Gannon and Ben Kavanagh ran straight and punched holes in the French defence, knocking them of the composure they showed in the first half.
Dumb play though still happened with the Vikings, none more guilty than Thomas Coyle when scoring his try. Over the try line, nobody near him and he placed the ball down wide out when he could have gone under the posts. The goal kick was missed leaving Widnes still needing a converted try to draw level. Too much to do and too little time to do it in and Widnes lost.
The referee was poor and the linesmen added nothing to aid him officiating of the game. Too many offsides, forward passes, lying on at he play the ball and a blatant mistake when a Widnes kick was judged to have gone in touch on the full when clearly it bounced at least a foot in play. Maybe I am biased towards Widnes but you can only but hope that the match officials take appropriate action when fouls are consistently ignored to the detriment of the game.
This was a game that the Vikings should have and could have won had they been more aware and astute in the first period.

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 pm

jd.
Yes there is moaning about whatever Wigan do, whether it's the laying on, offside or forward passes, the thing though is that they are good this season and you can't take that away from them.
I'd like to see the refs more consistent and the touch judges being honest and not turning their blind eye to what the spectator can clearly see.
Good draw in the next round of the CC for Widnes Vikings, if of course they beat the French team Lezignan. Wigan at Widnes, bring the "Pie Eaters on".

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:28 pm

jd,
Well the "Pie Eaters" it is then. No doubt who is going to win, Widnes supporter that I am, in all honesty it has got to be Wigan.
The bonus for the Mighty Vikings though is the opportunity to test themselves against super-dooper league opposition and the club should also make some money on pie sales, with mushy peas it's pie salad!

Signaller
Service Details: None. I'm here on behalf of my Father Walter Copping who served with 14/20th Hussars from 1935 to 1947.

Postby Signaller » Sat May 08, 2010 11:18 am

Hi everyone. I'm a new member on here. I never served in 14/20th but my Father did. I was born in London, and now live near Eastbourne. I support St. Helens and I'll be at The Stoop tomorrow watching Saints dismantle Quins again. :D

Regards,

Dave

Signaller
Service Details: None. I'm here on behalf of my Father Walter Copping who served with 14/20th Hussars from 1935 to 1947.

Postby Signaller » Sat May 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome jd. Did you watch Huddersfield v Warrington this arvo? Firewire caused a Giant headache.

Dave

Signaller

Re: Face has to Fit

Postby Signaller » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Bulldog wrote:Hank
We (Widnes Vikings) have the ground, fan base and money.

And we were still not good enough.

We would have stood more of a chance if we were on the Isle of Man.

Dvae

Hank, just be grateful that Widnes are sharing a ground with St. Helens this season. Seriously though, you do have a valid point.

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 pm

hi there,
Salford beat an under strength warrington..... :wink: ...bloody brilliant.
atb
pinky 8)

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:37 am

Salford have started the season well, hope they keep it up.
atb
pinky 8)

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Salford seem to playing well and improving each game. Like watching the halfbacks and now they have Phil Vievers as coach I think they do okay. Their downfall at the moment is the poor crowds they are getting and with it the lack of income to improve the team for next season.
Widnes on the other hand just can't conjour a win from anywhere and will need the full three years of the licence to improve. They have the support but not the right coach to get the most from the players.
Comments..........

PINKY

Postby PINKY » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Its a pity that Salford don't get better turn outs, maybe a good cup run could change that.
atb
pinky 8)

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Today is another bad day for Widnes Vikings, 36-0 against Hull KR.
Next week we play Wigan, I expect the points against to be more than the crowd attendance. I'll be there though, always game for a laugh.
Can someone show Denis Betts the exit door please!

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Postby Bulldog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Well today has been a great day for Widnes, I bet you anjoyed that Bill

Dave
Enjoy Life

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Over the moon.
Crowd of over 7,000 and Widnes win by 1 point, what more can you ask for. :D :D :D

Return to “Rugby”