National Arboretum Committee

Discussions about a fitting memorial to the 14th/20th King's Hussars.
Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

National Arboretum Committee

Postby Bob_H » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 am

Early in our main topic we decided that the formation of a Committee was the way ahead to decide our future actions with regards to the National Arboretum.

I'd like to propose the following:

1) Darryl Cartwright - we all will recognise that Darryl has worked over a long period of time to see a fitting memorial at NMA;

2) Drac Draper - Brian has been a valued source of advice in regimental matters, having more experience than most of us;

3) Johnny Morris - Johnny was first to kick off the debate about the NMA and has acted as the mediator between Noah's Arc and others;

Although the funds donated so far are held within the Noah's Arc Account they do not belong to Noah's Arc, and are not under the control of the standing Noah's Arc Committee. However as account holder I have been accepted as the lead to the new Committee.

It is intended that the Committee will promptly make their decision known (within 24 hours) and will have authority to release the donated funds as they feel appropriate.

Thank you for your poll contributions. The results will be available to the Committee.

Your comments are welcome.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Shep
Site Admin
Service Details: 1970-1990
C A & Hq Sqn

Re: National Arboretum Committee

Postby Shep » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Bob
I cant think of any better people with such a wealth of knowledge and respect to act on our behalf.

Shep
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi there
What Shep said -
Pinky

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Of course I would prefer to sway the comittee into doing that what I think is best:

'Not letting our wishes, dreams outstretch our pockets, or our lives !'

I mean, we will almost certainly be able to reach the 2,000,- pounds needed and, with the generous donation of 1,000,- pounds from the KRH association, so have the required 3,000,- pounds for a paving stone. The other main advantage of going along this route is that most of the admin will be done by the KRH association.

Just reading the many comments on this subject it's obvious that trying to 'go it alone' and get an individual monument for the 14/20H would be a marathon that many of us may well not live to see ... I mean years, even if we could afford it !

I'm encouraged to see that so many have voted on this matter but can't help comparing numbers. About twice as many people have voted than have donated. Perhaps I would be willing to change my mind if those who have voted for 'a monument of our own' would support their case with large donations. I'm looking in the region of more than a thousand pounds per person who voted for 'a monument of our own' ... then we might have a chance. But without this kind of support I see no way of achieving this dream. There is nothing wrong with dreams ... but dreams alone will sadly not get us very far.

It is our duty to support those who so generously give their time administering Noah's Arc and the Regimental Associations and not to throw missions at them that they can not possibly achieve. So, gentlemen, either provide the comittee with the funds or accept reality.

We can probably afford a 14/20H paving stone for 3,000,- pounds and that seems to me to be the best option.

Regards to all ... Bill Bentley

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Good guys, have my support !

Thanks for doing the dirty work ...

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Postby Bulldog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:26 am

Agree with Shep many thanks for your hard work on our behalf

Dave
Enjoy Life

Terry Murphy
Service Details: JLR 1965-1967
14/20H, C Sqdn, 1967
Demob - 1989

Postby Terry Murphy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 am

Hi Bill, I agree with most of what you say but I have to say I am so far disappointed with the ammount of votes that have been cast, as far as I can see there has been only 35 members who have voted.

Secondly, like you I have voted for the paving stone option but I have not yet donated.

The reason I have not donated yet is that I want to see which option we go for, how much it will cost and then my donation will be proportionate to that cost.
I am trusting that the majority of members who have not yet donated will do so in some way when the final outcome is clear.As you said raising £2000 should be easy with the ammount of members we have.

all the best Terry

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Committee Report Issued.

Please visit http://www.1420h.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3489
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:25 pm

They get my vote and support

Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Return to “National Arboretum”