National Arboretum Poll

Discussions about a fitting memorial to the 14th/20th King's Hussars.

Please indicate your 1420H Monument choice by choosing from the following options

Poll ended at Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

I want a 14/20H Memorial, not interested in paving stones (please note that I am persuaded that the cost of this, and the approval, may well be out of our reach)
49%
I want to hear more about the KRH Memorial before I decide
3%
I'm happy to just go ahead with the KRH Memorial
No votes
I think we should take the opportunity for a 14th/20th King's Hussars Paving Stone in addition to the KRH Memorial
46%
I think we should go for both the 1420H Paving Stone and the Noah's Arc Paving Stone in addition to the KRH Memorial
3%

Total votes: 35

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

National Arboretum Poll

Postby Bob_H » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:45 pm

We have received the following message from the Chairman of the KRH Regimental Association:
"At the recent KRH Trustees' Meeting, it was decided that a KRH Memorial would be erected at the National Memorial Arboretum, to recognize those members of the KRH, and its predecessor regiments, who served. It is hoped that it will be ready to be installed in the early Autumn 2014 and you will be informed.

At the same meeting the attached correspondence was considered. The Trustees determined that since the KRH did not exist in 1980, the date which General Patrick Cordingly wishes to see the Army represented, the KRH would not pay for its Badge to be engraved on a paving stone. However, I was tasked by the Chairman to discuss with you both whether you would wish to galvanize former RH and 14/20H old comrades into raising sufficient funds for the two respective Regimental cap badges to be engraved in Heroes' Square?

If you wish to take this forward, the Regimental Association will assist each of you with a grant of £1,000, thus you will only have to raise the sum of £2,000 to see your Regimental cap badge enhance the Square. Please let me have your views."

An initial response (Bob_H, Drac, Johnny Morris, Darryl Cartwright) has been sent to the Chairman. However, before we make firm commitments I'd like your views on the best way forward. Please make your choice using the poll above but also add your personal comments as you like. We want this to be open to all.

Many of you have pledged to support this project and you can make a donation via Noah's Arc as per this topic:
How to make a Payment to Noah's Arc
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Johnny Morris
Service Details: Served from 1967 - 1992
Served in all SQNS (I include C Sqn as I was SSM of it but we always referred to it as BMT Sqn)
Finished as RQMS in 1992 and served with the regiment in Paderborne, Hong Kong & Singapore, Hohne, N.I. Bovington and Warminster,
Catterick & Muenster and Iraq
Postings:Rheindahlen, DLOY(Preston & Swinton),BMATT - Zimbabwe.

Re: National Arboretum Poll

Postby Johnny Morris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:35 pm

As much as I would like to see a 14/20th Memorial I believe that cost alone would make this prohibitively expensive and I understand we would be talking about £10's of thousands , from all the information I have seen it would also take several years to achieve it even if the money was available right now.

Regards to all

Johnny Morris

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:45 pm

All,

Apologies but I've now amended the wording of the poll (1). Both Johnny and Darryl make very valid points and we don't want to waste anyone's time. However, if you feel strongly, vote with your conscience, we'd still like to know.

If you've already voted and want to change your vote just re-vote on another selection.

Please rest assured that no action will be taken and no money paid until we've discussed this openly - I'm quite happy to express my personal views if members want it for guidance, and I'll do that soon or when asked for it. However I should add that in our response to the KRH Assoc Chairman we did ask what form the 14th/20th dedication will take on the KRH Memorial.

Apologies once again :(
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Looking at the speed with which donations have been coming in I fear it is illusory to expect the committee to further pursue the idea of having our own monument. On the other hand it seems to be realistic that we could still raise the 2000,- pounds for a 'paving stone in Heroes Square' ... (?) alongside a Royal Hussars paving stone (?).

I think, so that as many of us as possible might actually live to see 'whatever memorial it is to be', that we should focus our attention on what we can achieve as opposed to what we would have perhaps preferred.

I have voted for a 14/20KH paving stone as well as the KRH memorial and hope that our comittee and that of the Royal Hussars association will do the same.

Regards to all, Bill Bentley

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Postby Bulldog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I agree that it may well be expensive but the Regiment (14th/20th Kings Hussars) should have its own dedication at the National Arboretum in one way or another.

I also believe the RH should have its own dedication

I believe we should not for forget the past,

I also believe we should we should not live in the past.

The KRH have there own modern history and I salute them and support them.

We should buy something we can afford.

ramble over

Dave
Enjoy Life

smudge077
Service Details: 1965 Catterick, Benghazi C Sqn & Regt Police
1966 Perham Down, HQ Sqn Recce Tp
1967 Paderborn, Cmd Sqn Recce Tp - 1970 Tidworth, C Sqn SHQ
1972 Sutton Coldfield, Army Selection Centre - 1973 Herford, C Sqn SHQ
1975 Cyprus, UN C Sqn SHQ - 1976 Warminster, A Sqn Cent Tp
1977 Manchester ACIO - 1979 Clifton DLOY HQ Sqn PSI
1980-85 Hohne D Sqn SHQ Tp, 2nd Tp Ldr, SQMS
1985-87 Catterick, C (BMT) Sqn SSM

Postby smudge077 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Everyone who has seen our plaque at the NMA feels quite strongly that it looks pathetic (I wouldn't be surprised if the tree was a cherry). As previously mentioned I understand that memorials mainly apply to regiments/orgs before 1980. Respects to those who may be wearing two hats, but any memorial should be specific to 14/20H, after all, in addition to all those killed in wars and conflicts, we have men buried all over the place including Germany and Mount Kenya. I think we should have to accept that it should be 14/20KH and not 14th and 20th Hussars, unlike the Royal Hussars who had an separate identity in modern times as 10th and 11th Hussars, but that's up to them.

Before people are asked to donate, I think a few options should be identified and aired with relevant costs as most of us have not been to the NMA. I can't understand why costs appear to be so high, I'm sure, and I'm only guessing, that the CWGC could produce an engraved stone with badge for a few hundred pounds (similar to war graves as its all done my machine now). Plus, there must be some Hawks out there who have some good contacts.

Please support Noah's Arc by voting so that they are able to judge members views and opinions.

Les
Service Details: 1959-1961 "D" Squadron DLOY
1961-1983 14th/20th Kings Hussars

Postby Les » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I would dearly love our own 14/20H memorial but I have to agree with Bill, I think the final cost and the sheer amount of red tape put up by the British Legion will stop this in it's tracks. Some of you will know from my earlier posts I was already in contact with the Arboretum Curator on this subject when it was first raised here. There is a charge of £1000 just to ask permission to put a memorial up, then it gets into silly money. I think therefore the 14/20H paving stone option is probably the best course of action

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Bob,

I will go with the paving stone along side the KRH Memorial. I echo other comments in particularly Bulldog & Bill's

Cheers

Mac

Return to “National Arboretum”