National Arboretum

Discussions about a fitting memorial to the 14th/20th King's Hussars.
Johnny Morris
Service Details: Served from 1967 - 1992
Served in all SQNS (I include C Sqn as I was SSM of it but we always referred to it as BMT Sqn)
Finished as RQMS in 1992 and served with the regiment in Paderborne, Hong Kong & Singapore, Hohne, N.I. Bovington and Warminster,
Catterick & Muenster and Iraq
Postings:Rheindahlen, DLOY(Preston & Swinton),BMATT - Zimbabwe.

Re: National Arboretum

Postby Johnny Morris » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

Existing monument.jpg
Existing monument.jpg (109.82 KiB) Viewed 4862 times

This is an example of an existing monument
Attachments
Existing monument (1).jpg
Existing monument (1).jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 4817 times

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:16 am

Bob,

do you just happen to have Accrington Bricks laying around the garden ?

Bricks can be made to almost any shape and size, so I was kind of thinking of somebody talking to Messrs Accrington and negotiating with them to purpose make the bricks for a pyramid, perhaps with our hawk in a central tablet on each side. This would normally cost thousands ... but it would also be a fantastic advert for them - Accrington Brick and so they might be willing to do the production free of charge if we covered the cost of the artwork. Any self-respecting Lancastrian master bricklayer should be willing to build the pyramid, again for nothing, if we were to pay for the material - foundation etc. The Aboretum gets ? a million visitors per year ? and such a monument would be fairly conspicuous, a brilliant advertising opportunity ! And a once in a lifetime chance for them to immortalize themselves at the same time.

The previous picture sent in by Johnny Morris is indeed very fitting but won't they all then look the same.

One more point: Even when I was a youngster some scumbags knocked down many of the gravestones in our local cemetery, over the years this seems to have become a hobby for scumbags. On a well built pyramid they would bite their teeth out ... and a thousand dead Hussars would be laughing at their efforts !

Yet another point ... Might I suggest starting to collect monies now while moral is high, I don't doubt that it will take a long time to get things off the ground and enthusiasm wears off all too quickly ! I would be willing to donate 100,- pounds immediately and I would donate a free regimental flag for anybody else who does the same. As the regimental smithy used to say ... strike while the iron is hot.

ALAN SIMPER
Service Details: 1978- 1988

Postby ALAN SIMPER » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Accrington brick if I remember from when I managed a builders merchants was bought out by Marshalls, specials as the bricks were classed cost a lot of money and to build a pyramid would cost a few thousand quid, due to the current climate I very much doubt any supplier giving them over as a free sample.it took me all my time just to get 1 brick out as a sample for a client let alone enough to build a pyramid.
nice thought but I doubt it.
ooh to be a gooner

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Bob,

I support Bill's last suggestion about starting to collect the money now while the 'iron is hot'. Do you have the means to start an account into which the money can be transferred from wherever in the world. If so, can we be given the details ASAP before the Tax Man comes calling at my house. When I was buying my Flags from Bill we (I) had the devils own job actually transferring dosh, hope this won't be the same.

Arnie :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Bob
I will match Bills suggested contribution. How about setting up an account to run alongside the subscribtions account. I would like to say though to our members £5.00 is enough to help. I only have to keep myself (and Mike when he hasent had any work)
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 am

Gents - your generosity shows no bounds. But, like life, this is far from simple. Here's my summary:

This topic began when Johnny, via Facebook, became involved in a discussion which was led by Darryl Cartwright, with Johnny suggesting to us that this was a project worthy of Noah's Arc. Darryl's idea was to fund a monument similar to that already in place for other regiments.

Reading all of your posts and other sources it is clear that this was nothing new or unique. Over recent times other Members of Noah's Arc have made similar comments about the lack of a fitting memorial to the 14th/20th King's Hussars.

Early in the topic Johnny and myself discussed the issue and favoured the idea of letting Darryl get on with the efforts that he had already begun; collecting potential monetary supporters, approaching the National Arboretum (NA) for details of costs, procedures etc. We anticipated some of the issues that might arise and concluded that, if Noah's Arc were to get involved, it would be as part of a joint committee - along with Darryl.

We learnt that the NA themselves had recognised the lack of involvement at the Arboretum of many famous Regiments, and that they had proposed the building of a 'Heroes Square', located alongside the Millennium Chapel and the visitor centre. This involves the laying of suitably inscribed dedicated paving stones at a forecast cost of £3,000 each. The square is planned for an opening in 2015.

We then learned that in November, at an annual meeting between all 'Cavalry Colonels of Regiment', the paving stones idea was up for discussion. Whether this involves other memorials we know not.

It has become clear that the acceptance by NA for the erection of a freestanding memorial will be costly; design & build, erection, application (£1000), donation to NA (£36 per sq m), insurance, maintenance etc. And even with your generous donations we might find that our pockets are just not deep enough. It would be sad however to visit the NA and see monuments to 10H, 11H, QOH and ‘Lancers’ and yet none to 14/20H – sufficiently sad to surely keep our minds focused. :cry:

So, I’ll turn to “What if’s?”

1) If the Colonels decide not to purchase a paving stone – I would suggest that we at Noah’s Arc commission our own.
    2) If the Colonels decide to purchase a ‘KRH’ paving stone – same answer.
    3) If the Colonels decide not to purchase a freestanding memorial dedicated to 14/20H – we at Noah’s Arc investigate further, using Darryl’s findings.
    4) If the Colonels decide on a freestanding memorial dedicated to all five regiments, 10H, 11H, 1420H, RH and KRH – we would like to be involved.

Conclusion:
My conclusion is to once again thank you all for your offers, but to urge patience. Let’s see what comes out of Darryl’s investigations and let’s see what comes out of the meeting of Colonels of Regiment. The picture may well be clearer. :?

In the meantime, if you insist on making donations, I’m more than happy to accept them into the Noah’s Arc account. It’s a simple matter to create a new column and produce periodic reports. It’s up to you.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 am

Bob,

I understand that we must be patient. On the other hand collecting monies takes time and I think that, regardless of which way we eventually decide to go ... after all of the others have made their decisions etc., it will be a considerable advantage if the funds are (largely) already available.

I am happy to make my donation of 100,- pounds straight away with the precursor that it be retained for the specific purpose of funding a monument (whichever monument) to the memory of the 14/20th Kings Hussars.
Should, for reasons beyond our reasonable control, such a monument not be possible or practicable or should it become fully funded by another source, then the collected monies should be used for the benefit of the members of Noah's Arc. (I have added that last bit because when I was chairman of the RBL in Berlin I became aware that although there were millions in the welfare fund, many RBL branches could hardly afford to do their daily business - a stupid situation !)

I have looked at the 'Subs' section and the account details etc. are there, but no BIC IBAN or Swift details which some people will need for international transfers. Perhaps, Bob, you could add those details and mention it in this thread so that people can get donating ... While I understand what Phill wrote: "I would like to say though to our members £5.00 is enough to help." and of course every penny helps, should it come to chosing to erect a monument just for the 14/20th Kings Hussars, it will require a lot of lolly so dig deep, dig deep !

Finally, my thanks to Phill for matching my offer and so qualifying for a free flag. To receive it all you have to do is send me your current full postal address to: flagsandthings@gmx.de
Anybody else who chooses to donate 100,- pounds or more will also have to send me their address to recieve their free flag and perhaps you Bob would send me a 'pm' just to confirm the arrival of such sums. Just to tidy things up at my end, my offer of a free flag is limited until the 31.12.2013, or for as long as stock lasts.

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:00 am

Payment Terms

Payments should be made with the reference of 'Arbor + your name' into the Noah's Arc account. A statement of income and balance will be made each month on this website. The money is targeted at the funding of a Memorial dedicated to the 14th/20th King's Hussars at the site of the National Arboretum. In the case that the funds are not required for the purpose stated all monies will be returned to the donator, or transferred into the standard Noah's Arc account, at the request of the donator. Once sufficient details are known a small committee will be raised to manage the fund prior to any expenditure.

Payments to:

Account Name: Noahs Arc (no apostrophe)
    Sort No. 20-69-85
    Account No. 90572845
    IBAN: GB93 BARC 2069 8590 5728 45
    Swift: BARCGB22
    Add Reference: Arbor + your name
    e.g. Arbor R Harrison (usually up to 18 characters)

Thank you

Mac McNulty
Site Admin
Service Details: January 1972 - August 1994

Postby Mac McNulty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Bob,

I will match Bill and Phil's contributions. I have a flag already Bill so no need to send me another thanks.

Cheers

Mac

Bob_H

Postby Bob_H » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 pm

OKay, we're up and running as far as donations is concerned - you can follow the money here:

viewforum.php?f=24

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Postby rick aindow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 am

Hi Bob,

Just made the payment, it took me 5 goes :twisted:

It seems that the HSBC bank does not like the ' (apostrophe) in Noah's Arc, just in case anyone else has the same problem

All the best

PS- can you switch off the obituaries link, it's getting too painful :(
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:01 am

Rick,

you are almost certainly right about the '(apostrophe) ! When I did my transfer I copied the details from the 'Subs' thread and noticed that there is no '(apostrophe) included there.

You are again right about the obituaries thread, it's been a mean few days ... but that puts all the more value on what this thread is about ... creating a place where not only those of us who are left can go and 'remember' but a place where perhaps future generations might stand and stare and perhaps ask themselves 'what's a HUSSAR ?' and 10,000 ghosts will ride (probably in tanks) across the sky :lol: :lol: :lol: keep smiling !

Bob_H

Postby Bob_H » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 am

Bill Bentley wrote:Rick,
You are again right about the obituaries thread, it's been a mean few days ... but that puts all the more value on what this thread is about ... creating a place where not only those of us who are left can go and 'remember' but a place where perhaps future generations might stand and stare and perhaps ask themselves 'what's a HUSSAR ?' and 10,000 ghosts will ride (probably in tanks) across the sky :lol: :lol: :lol: keep smiling !

Poetry in motion. :P

Bob_H

Postby Bob_H » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 am

To view a list of all of the individual monuments at the site of the National Arboretum click below. Note that included are 10th Royal Hussars, 11th Hussars (The Cherry Pickers) and The Royal Hussars.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/about-us/memor ... memorials/

They are split 0 - D, E - Q and R- Z.

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Rick,

please, in words of one syllable, how did you do it?

My bank is WESTPAC.

When I have tried transferring money it has only been from the wife's savings account to my spendings account.

In that stuff Bob H put on I don't see a BSB nor an Account number. I know I am stupid but better make it in words of 1/2 syllable.

Arnie :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Return to “National Arboretum”