Memorial location

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Memorial location

Post by Bill Bentley » Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 am

Circumstances dictate that I shall have to visit the UK, for the first time in many years, in the near future. As short as my visit will be, having never been there, I should like to include in my itinerary a visit to the National Arboretum and the 14th/20th Memorial. Can somebody give me exact details of where our memorial is within the NA.

Thanks in advance

Bill Bentley

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Re: Memorial location

Post by sammy » Thu May 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Bill
As you come out of the visitors centre the new 14/20th memorial stone is on the left among all the other memorial stones, very close to the centre. Then go down the path to the main memorial (which is high above everything else on a mound ) As you walk towards the main memorial the 14/20 / KRH stone is on the right of the path.
The Arboretum is a very moving place to visit as you see the names of long lost friends etched into the stone work, also wonder at the vast number of lives lost since the end of WW1.
Another place that I always visit and always feel very moved is the "Shot at dawn" memorial which is some distance down the police memorial avenue, right at the bottom on the left.
Sammy

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Post by 27 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 am

Bill.

When are you visiting if it is in August there is an informal piss up at the Moon under the water on Deansgate on the 26th from 1 pm Onwards normally get a lot turn up.
YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Post by Bill Bentley » Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Many thanks Sammy,

I shall be sure to pay my respects to our 14/20th fallen comrades and those who's names are only burned in our fragile memories having found no piece of stone worthy of carrying their names.

Having served under five cap badges and having had several attachments it will be a busy and moving day.

Tony,

thanks also for the offer of bash down Deansgate, not been there for a camel's age, but my location and timings are unfortunately not compatible. Do give my best to all who are able to make it, who knows, one day, one day.