63 Army Youth Team

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

63 Army Youth Team

Postby rick aindow » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:50 am

I recently found an old dvd showing about 14 minutes of video that I took when I was with 63 Army Youth Team stationed in Ardwick Green, Manchester.

I thought it may be worth while to let anyone who would have an interest in the regiments time providing an Army Youth Team, (one of the best postings I had!)

During my “Cecil B. DeMille” period I bought an 8mm movie camera and shot some footage of some of the places we used to visit with cadets etc.
When I found the 8mm reel some 10 years ago I decided to make a copy for VHS, I did this by borrowing a projector and a VHS movie camera. I loaded up the reel and played the film, projected on an old white shoebox (my walls were dark blue!) and then filmed the image on the shoebox with the VHS camera. My son then decided to digitise the VHS to make the DVD. He gave it a title, thinking it was from 1964 instead of 63 AYT when he copied it.

The result is a very ‘scratchy and wobbly’ film but watchable?

(Scary, the vision actually stops at 14 minutes & 20 Seconds)

Some of the locations are, Pennine Way, Edale, Lake District, Isle of Man, Halton training camp on the River Lune and surf canoeing in Cornwall.

Some of the AYT members as well as myself are, Eddie Edwards, Mick Burgess, Bob Morrow, Mick Blackey, Mick McGahey, George Kirk.
The size of the movie is 319mb.

I have used a ‘tiny URL’, clicking the link should get you to the movie via Google Drive,(or copy the link and paste into your browser)

http://tinyurl.com/o3bbdrw

if that doesn't work for you the long address is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6YOPT ... ViYkU/view
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Re: 63 Army Youth Team

Postby Paul W. Baker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Great video, think I recognised George Kirk on it? Teaching Canoeing.

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Great watching and great music !

Thanks Rick !!

Question: did anybody actually join the regiment because of the AYT ?

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Postby mick burgess » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:50 am

Hi Rick,
Just seen this brings back great memories mate as you say one of the most satisfying postings away away from the regt I had and living in Manchester was the icing on the cake.
Mick

Ron Flowers
Service Details: JLR 65-67
A Sqn
D Sqn
Lulworth Sqn
Recruit Selection Centre PS
63 AYT

Postby Ron Flowers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 pm

I had a great time on the team when I took over from Ric. The down side for our tenure was that we were interrupted by the Fire Brigade strike after which the Youth Team system was binned by the army. Phil Midgley firstly and then DRAC were our bosses me as 2ic, George Kirk, Johnny Wood, Mac Mc Garcy, sorry if thats the wrong spelling Mac, and Mike Blackey were the other team members. I was talking to Geof Mather and Terry Murphy about the AYT a couple of weeks ago. We all joined JLR together on the same day and the 3 of us ended up on the Youth Team, not at the same time though all loved our posting. The video was not of my tenure bit the activities and the places bought back happy memories.

Return to “Regimental Chat”