DEATH NOTICE

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

DEATH NOTICE

Postby Brian Moulton » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Who else is uncomfortable with the recent emails regarding the passing of one of our mates or acquaintances ?

When John Cornish sent notifications out, he headed them with the rank and name of he/she who had moved on, and then in the body of the text informed that "It is with great sadness, that I must inform you of the passing of ?? .......". A much more respectful way of announcing the death of one of our comrades.

The current form is just in the same vein as saying " Sgt XXX will be shot at dawn tomorrow". Abrupt and very formal.

I've already asked Jenni, who I don't believe originated this format, to pass my feelings back to the originator. Maybe they can come up with something less offensive to us and the families of the bereaved.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Re: DEATH NOTICE

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Brian I think this is the way its going cold hard no feeling
Je n'oublierai pas

Shep
Site Admin
Service Details: 1970-1990
C A & Hq Sqn

Postby Shep » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Pkil
your probably correct in your thought
I was sure the Assistant Regimental Secratary was a member on here
Solly I fully agree with you mate
Bob will pick this up Im sure

aTB

Shep
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:05 pm

I agree Brian, the message could be far more sympathetic.

However, here's a copy of the notice I received from JC about Major Pemberton. It seems it's been this way for a while and that Shep is right.
pembonotice.jpg
pembonotice.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:12 am

I have had a response from Jenni, who has passed my comment up the line.

I don't mind if my death is posted as irreverent e.g. (Solly has popped his clogs, left nothing of value, spent all his money. The funeral will be in his back garden. Bring a spade or a log for the funeral pyre. If you are coming, bring some sarnies and a bottle of beer.), but I just though that "Death Notice" was a disrespectful way of announcing the event with regards to family and relatives.

Bob, I don't see anything wrong with John's note to you. The first line was for your eyes only, and the announcement, although brief, was respectful.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:01 am

Brian Moulton wrote:Bob, I don't see anything wrong with John's note to you. The first line was for your eyes only, and the announcement, although brief, was respectful.

Brian, I'm not suggesting anything wrong. My intention is to point out that the current format goes back further than as first mentioned.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Sam
Service Details: 19 Sept 1966 to 15 May 1989

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:19 am

Never had an Email about passing - the last letter I got was Mick Holland from Bill Garbutt, this may be I asked for no emails from home HQ:)

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:28 am

It is a fact of life, that the news of a persons passing is never received by everybody in the same way.

some prefer to take the news on the chin, and others prefer it flowered up or softened in some way , in fact is is true to say the only one not effected by the news is the deceased person.

As old campaigners we have seen pretty much all the ways available, and should be able to sort the the chaff from the corn.

Provided the notice is with due respect, It is my belief that the outpouring of comments from our peers is a better form of broadcasting the message se the wave of respect messages that was generated at Drac's passing.

So state the facts and let the people speak

Cheers Trev

Bob Riley
Service Details: A sqn Warminster\Hohne..D sqn Hohne .....C sqn Hohne

Postby Bob Riley » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 pm

The problem is that informing people of the act of death is never easy, we all take death personally especially to a friend ,so Solly ,Trev in your way you are both right and depending on how the person was thought of the bigger outpouring .so getting the info into the public domain must be the priority then let nature take it course .
regards.......Bob R

Paul W. Baker
Site Admin
Service Details: 1420H 1978 - 1989
RH 1991 - 1992
KRH 1992 - 2003

Postby Paul W. Baker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:10 pm

It may be down to it being a formality as those now at HHQ do not know the individuals that have passed? It may also be they way that the RH inform their comrades of the loss of a fellow comrade and that has been introduced to us as all information is now passed from HHQ (S). I doubt it is meant to upset or offend anyone.

Return to “Regimental Chat”