New Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

New Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Postby Bob_H » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 am

Appointment of new Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Maj (Retd) Steve Penkethman says "I joined RH (A Sqn) in 1975. I was RSM KRH in 1995 and commissioned in 1997. I was then QM 2002-2004, HQ Sqn Ldr 2004-2006, and retired from the Army in June 2013."

We offer a warm welcome.
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: New Assistant Regimental Secretary in HHQ(N)

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 am

It won't be easy to fill JC's boots, the proof of the pudding is in the eating ... welcome !

bryanlythgoe

Postby bryanlythgoe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Welcome to Preston Steve. For all of you guys who do not know him I can ensure you all that Steve is a fantastic guy and a fantastic addition to Home HQ who will not let you down.

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Postby tigger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:54 am

Well what a suprise

Rh have now installed one of their own into the Northern HQ traditionally the seat of the 14/20 Kings Hussars .

Now this Penkethman Might be ok for The RED Legs but I doubt he'll fit well with the 14/20 members. As for not letting us down, well that will be seen in the future.

I remember meeting this character before amalgamation and was under whelmed

Disgusted by this inappropriate appointment

Trev Jones

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 am

Now, now Trev,

it's not like you to not give a person a fair chance, pass him the ball and see what he does with it.
Not all redleg are deadlegs !

The world can only get better if we all give it a chance ...

Bill

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 am

Noah's Arc exists to perpetuate the name of the 14th/20th King's Hussars. As the founder member no-one knows that better than me.

But, the King's Royal Hussars are my Regiment. They are OUR Regiment. When they march through Preston later this year for the tercentenary celebrations I'll be in the front of the queue applauding them by, as will many others (based on the last occasion).

The Regimental Association look after the interests of not only 1420H, but Royal Hussars, 10th Hussars and 11th Hussars in addition to KRH. There is no logic behind the idea that the Northern Representative must be ex-1420H; much more important that he is someone able to do the job, especially since a large part of the role concerns welfare and bereavement.

I never served with Steve Penkethman but he is the person that I now have to work alongside when dealing with matters that concern Noah's Arc. We should respect his appointment and welcome him amongst us. His record suggests that he will be more than capable.

tigger
Service Details: JLR RAC 1971-1972, 14/20 kh 1972 - 1992. Herford, Bovinton, Cyprus, Omagh, Warminster, Hohne, Croyden, Catterick, Manchester, Munster, NI tours, Gulf 1,

Postby tigger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Bob

ever the dipolmat, well I'm not I say it as I see and saw it

The Royal Hussars and all associated with that mob who we we're forced to Amalgamate with had then and still do an agenda to rule the roost not equal ownership of our legacy.

The Kings Royal Hussar will never be my Regiment, it belongs to people like my son who served in it

I predict that this new Red Leg will have an agenda to shut down the Preston Branch and move it all down Sarf

Time will tell of course .

I hope every one who attends in Preston this year has a great day and takes from it what they will.

Regards Trev

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Freedom of speech allows us to have our own opinions based on our beliefs and what we think are facts. I did about 10 yrs in the KRH. I have an opinion I will share privately.
Pinky

shotgun
Service Details: jlr 6/6/79-aug1980
regt sept 1980-10/5/2003

Postby shotgun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 pm

must say, hope hes fairer than as rsm,he really didn't like the northern section of the regt, and must say I do think there is an agenda to close the preston wing. saying that if we fully support it , it cant close but last year was a awful turn out.. weve gotta do better..... time will tell.. will be nice to catch up with him..
Yammy

Les
Service Details: 1959-1961 "D" Squadron DLOY
1961-1983 14th/20th Kings Hussars

Postby Les » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 pm

I retired almost ten years before the amalgamation so never served with the present regiment. I too have had my say about the mentality of merging a good northern regiment with one from the south. At the end of the day though the youngsters of today are wearing the same cap badge I wore and have done a brilliant job in some bloody awful places. Red trousers or not they have my respect and whatever support I can give. As for the new guy, as someone else said " Give him the ball and see how he plays it". Some time ago I spoke to Colonel Peter Garbutt about the possibility of Preston closing and he said "No chance". He's 14/20H and Regimental Secretary south.

Ian Neilson
Service Details: JLR Bovington 1961, A Squadron 14/20H Benghazi, Tripoli, UN Cyprus, Perham Down, Paderborn. Civvy Street for a while. Rejoined 1975 14/20H B Squadron Hereford, posted AAC Middle Wallop, Munster, Long Kesh NI, Munster, Omagh NI, Munster, Bovington 1980 demob.

Postby Ian Neilson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:55 am

A great deal of strong feelings are evident in this thread and feel I would like to make a personal point.
Personally I have not the slightest feelings of affiliation to the successor to our beloved 14/20 kings Hussars that I joined in Manchester back in December 1960. Having said that, the KRH are a (new) and honourable Regiment in the British Army in which we all once served or are still serving.
For hundreds of years the british army has consisted of regiments that have been raised, decimated, amalgamated and disbanded. The list of lost names is depressing. Just go into a store selling cap badges and wonder at regimental names (and mottos) we have never heard of. I had a friend who once served in The Staffordshire Yeomanry 1794-2006 when they were mounted cavalry the converted to Valentine tanks in WW2. Another proud regiment gone. I wonder how all those members of all the previous units over all those years feel about their own fortunes. Even the 14/20 KH was made up of many parts handed down to us in years gone by and yet we were proud to take credit for their varied honourable past evidenced by the guidon we marched behind.
For a relative short time of history each of us held allegiance to a regimental name that perhaps existed only while we served and that is as it should be.
Let us just be british soldiers, ex-british soldiers and proud to be part of that family.

Note: see Staffordshire Yeomanry
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Yeomanry

Ian

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 am

Ian

Have you been on the sauce? How old were you in 1960? How old were you when you came to my troop? I agree with you that I have no feelings for the KRH. Nor do I hate them. I think that they should be allowed to run out their time as they will. Before they become No3 Cavalry Regiment, The Powers that be have no love for tradition. I also think that they should not have 14/20H silver now that they have no 14/20H people serving with them.
It could of course be that I am going round the bend.

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

Bob_H

Postby Bob_H » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 am

Must say Tony that I'd love the chamberpot beneath my bed :)

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Postby Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 am

Bob
I would like Carol Vorderman beneath but I aint getting her and you aint getting the Emperor :-)
Je n'oublierai pas

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Postby williamo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:32 am

I served in the 14/20th Kings Hussars from 1951-1964, with great pride. I have however served along side, in Massed Bands, with the 10th,11th, and so many other famouus Cavalry Regiments, and although there was plenty of rivalry and Banter, Never any bitterness, i am sure theNew Generation of Hawks will do us Old Hussars very proud regardless of the colour of their Pants.

Return to “Regimental Chat”