C Sqn Paderborn - Wheelchair stunt ?

Talk about your time in the Regiment, the KRH, Military Life, Equipment - Let's keep the good memories going.
Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

C Sqn Paderborn - Wheelchair stunt ?

Post by Brian Moulton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Just been talking to Larry Hamblin and got round to talking about the Paralympics. Larry asked me if I could remember someone in C Sqn who used to do a stunt in a wheelchair. I can't even remember seeing anything like that, but Larry insists that he did it on more than one occasion.

Anyone remember this and if so, who did it ?
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

ALGY CAIN
Service Details: 1967-77. A and C Squadrons.

Re: C Sqn Paderborn - Wheelchair stunt ?

Post by ALGY CAIN » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Is that the Chelsea Pensioner parade skit?

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Post by Brian Moulton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Just spoke to Larry again and Yes it was whoever did the Chelsea Pensioner take off. Larry thought it was someone out of C Sqn.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 am

I would suggest Jake Flemming I remember him doing it in Hong Kong.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:23 am

Phil

Larry says thanks. It was Jake Fleming who he remembers doing it.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

yorkydown
Service Details: joined regiment 1946 to 1956, served Catterick Crookham Tripoli then transferred to RASC/Rct in Tripoli then Uk Aden Bahran uh demobbed 1968

Post by yorkydown » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Brian Moulton wrote:Just spoke to Larry again and Yes it was whoever did the Chelsea Pensioner take off. Larry thought it was someone out of C Sqn.
Hi Brian, i remember the Chelsea Pensioner, i think i last saw it at the mess in Sabratha Libya in 1955, i think it was the late Harry Bruce as hec was a great pianist/singer

yorkydown
Service Details: joined regiment 1946 to 1956, served Catterick Crookham Tripoli then transferred to RASC/Rct in Tripoli then Uk Aden Bahran uh demobbed 1968

Post by yorkydown » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 pm

i do recall this and last i remember was in the mess at Sabratha Libya in 1955, and think it was the late SSM Harry Bruce who was a great Pianist and Singer

williamo
Service Details: Regimental Band.
1951-1964.
Crookham,Sabratha,Kneller Hall, Piddlehinton, Munster, Hohne, Berlin, Bengazi, Bovington.

Post by williamo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm

yorkydown wrote:i do recall this and last i remember was in the mess at Sabratha Libya in 1955, and think it was the late SSM Harry Bruce who was a great Pianist and Singer

Harry Bruce,what a great bloke, and his lovely wife Brenda(?). Let me tell you of his kindness.

The band were going on leave to Malta for our first leave since leaving uk. We had drawn two weeks pay, ration money and credits. The day before going all my money was stolen from my locker, and I could not go. Harry Bruce being Provo Sgt was doing the investigation, and hearing of my plight, No Money, and No entitlement to eat in cookhouse decided to sort it. That evening he took me home to his quarters, introduced me to his family, and informed me I was staying there till the Bands return in two weeks, I was just eighteen, and they made me so welcome I felt like one of their family. I hope they are both looking down on me and giving me that wonderful "Bruce" Smile. A Super Hawk.

Ps
And dear Harry found the guilty person, and got me some of my cash back.TY.

Bulldog
Service Details: 1970-1993

Post by Bulldog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm

This act did go into the 70s and 80s I am sure I saw Jake doing it in Hong Kong and I also remember Jake doing it in Herford mid 70s, Alan Mayall and I did it at a rugby do in the 80s but I must admit no where as good as Jakes effort.

please correct me if am wrong

Dave
Enjoy Life

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Post by Arnie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:36 am

If I remember correctly it was a duo act with one sitting on a "wheel"chair on a table and one as the Sergeant Major giving all the commands for the Trooping the Colour Parade.

Always brought the house down. Can't remember whodunit but that was in the 60's.

Arnie :D :D :D

Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks lads.

You would think someone, somewhere, would have filmed a version of this skit and put it on YouTube, had a look but nothing there.

Anyway, Larry's happy.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

denis
Service Details: 1968-1975

Post by denis » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:13 pm

I remember watching jake do it in the cavendish club in paderborn. To great hilarity all round.
you could see the pennines from my window if it wasnt for the mosques inbetween

Phil(Quassie)Baldwin
Site Admin
Service Details: Joined the regiment from training Sept 70 joined B.Sqn Nov 70 in Hong Kong D Sqn in 77 Hq in 82 left in 92

Post by Phil(Quassie)Baldwin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 am

First time I saw Jake do this was at Crhistmas dinner in the cookhouse in Hong Kong 1970. The next time was in the 48 Bde Sgts Mess 72 we put a show on for them, Steve Beavers was barking the orders. There is a picture in the Hawk Journal I am sure. Or I may have it at home I will have a dig around.
Phil
Je n'oublierai pas

Brian Moulton

Post by Brian Moulton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 am

If Jake's still around, maybe we could get him to do another performance at the next reunion. Or get him to train a younger member.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

yorkydown

Post by yorkydown » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:13 pm

williamo wrote:
yorkydown wrote:i do recall this and last i remember was in the mess at Sabratha Libya in 1955, and think it was the late SSM Harry Bruce who was a great Pianist and Singer
you describe Harry perfectly Bill, he spent many weekends when i lived in Tripo;i, ha came for weekends, a brilliant pianist and singer, once remember harry and i were invited onto to the cruise ship Orsova in harbour visiting Tripoli and he entertaine 600 passengers with his singing and piano playing, also monologues, we were guests of a Dundee bank manager who we took to our mess for a drink who we met in a bar in downtown Tripoli, my wife had a search party out for us since lunchtime, found us at 1130 pm, after having a few, both got a boxxxxxxg lol good days, take care Ted
Harry Bruce,what a great bloke, and his lovely wife Brenda(?). Let me tell you of his kindness.

The band were going on leave to Malta for our first leave since leaving uk. We had drawn two weeks pay, ration money and credits. The day before going all my money was stolen from my locker, and I could not go. Harry Bruce being Provo Sgt was doing the investigation, and hearing of my plight, No Money, and No entitlement to eat in cookhouse decided to sort it. That evening he took me home to his quarters, introduced me to his family, and informed me I was staying there till the Bands return in two weeks, I was just eighteen, and they made me so welcome I felt like one of their family. I hope they are both looking down on me and giving me that wonderful "Bruce" Smile. A Super Hawk.

Ps
And dear Harry found the guilty person, and got me some of my cash back.TY.