14th/20th King's Hussars with Surrey connections who fought in the First World War

Research
PhilCSurreyHeritage
Service Details: None - civilian

14th/20th King's Hussars with Surrey connections who fought in the First World War

Postby PhilCSurreyHeritage » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:39 am

Although I don't personally have any association with the 14th/20th King's Hussars I've been given permission to post comments/questions on this forum.

If anyone has any information about 14th/20th King's Hussars or members of the Lancashire's Regiment with Surrey connections who fought in the First World War we would like to hear from you.

I work for Surrey Heritage, part of Surrey County Council and based at the county archive. We're running a First World War project to bring together the stories of people connected with the county who were affected by or affected the war: service personnel and civilians, casualties and survivors. Here's a link to the project website http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk. We're also currently hosting the Surrey Infantry Museum team after the disastrous fire at Clandon.

In addition we run the county Historic Environment Record (HER). This is used mostly to record archaeological finds but is increasingly being used to record more modern buildings and features that are of significance. The HER is consulted when a planning application is being considered. As part of the FWW project we're recording war memorials in the county as too many have been lost already through redevelopment.

There's some overlap with the IWM's Lives of the First World War and War Memorials Archive but we're cross referencing to their databases to avoid too much overlap and our interest is to personalise the people who lived through the FWW by getting their pictures and (family) stories on-line. We are proactively getting volunteers to research people and places during the FWW. We're making connections between memorials so a browser can see where someone is mentioned on more than one memorial and also making connections between Stories where there are links between the people involved.

So far in our database we have some information about at least four members of the 14th/20th Kings Hussars with Surrey/FWW connections: George A Butters, Henry James Deccan Leigh, William James Burt and Harold Martin Soames. I've seen the 2012 thread on this forum about George A Butters (it's how I found the forum) and have pinged a message off to Rosemary directly.

If anyone has information or images (portraits, war memorials, gravestones etc) please contact me:

Regards

Phil Cooper
Exploring Surrey's Past Officer

phil.cooper@surreycc.gov.uk

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Re: 14th/20th King's Hussars with Surrey connections who fought in the First World War

Postby PINKY » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi there,
I recall somewhere that the Regular Cavalry Regiments didn't have county affiliations until the 50's. So gents from all over were joining regiments that needed filling up !! So the Surrey connection was 'by chance' maybe? When I joined up there was fella's from all corners in Lancashire's finest and that was 1979/80.
ATB
Pinky

PhilCSurreyHeritage

Re: 14th/20th King's Hussars with Surrey connections who fought in the First World War

Postby PhilCSurreyHeritage » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi Pinky

When we started the project the idea was to focus on Surrey and Surrey people. It looked easy and then we started to find that people from outside Surrey had served in Surrey Regiments, people from Surrey had served in non-Surrey Regiments, Surrey people are commemorated on FWW memorials around the world and service personnel from all over the world were buried in Surrey, e.g. Canadian Foresters, Indian/Muslim soldiers, ANZACS. Our county project has now become global. Hopefully it will help keep all their memories alive.

Cheers
Phil

pacopitt1
Service Details: 20th Hussars

Postby pacopitt1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi Phil, although I had an email saying you had sent me a PM I was unable to get into it as I had been locked out for not using the site for some time, however I am up and running again, so if you would like to resend it, I will be able to see it this time. I am now pacopitt1 on the system as my username.
regards Rosemary.

PhilCSurreyHeritage

Postby PhilCSurreyHeritage » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Rosemary

I've resent the PM. The bulk of the PM duplicates the first post I put up on this forum. In case you don't get it the core question is:

I was researching the names on the Brockham Roll of Honour (see image: http://www.recordingremembrance.org.uk/assets/userfiles/memorials/002321.jpg) and specifically George A Butters, 20th Hussars, died May 31st 1917. The only matching CWGC record I could find was http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/177377/BUTTERS,%20G%20A but this lists the date of death as May 30th 1917. However, this isn't the first instance on this Roll of Honour where details vary from official records.

I can find no connection between George and Brockham (in the Surrey Hills), George seemed firmly connected with Mitcham. Do you have any idea why he would be mentioned on a FWW memorial in Surrey, were there family members living there post FWW?

If you can help shed light in George's connection with Brockham that would be fantastic and please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards

Phil

Return to “Brockham Roll of Honour”