ALL FORCES VETERANS IN THE LEYLAND AREA

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
king hussar

ALL FORCES VETERANS IN THE LEYLAND AREA

Postby king hussar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:47 pm

On the first Saturday of every month there is a veterans breakfast café at the ROCCOCO COFFEE LOUNGE chapel brow Leyland, between 1000hrs and 1300hrs with free tea/coffee and bacon/sausage butties, and a chance to chat with old and new veterans also there is a representative from the blind veterans uk on hand to answer any questions. ( only three hawks there at the moment )

king hussar

Re: ALL FORCES VETERANS IN THE LEYLAND AREA

Postby king hussar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 pm

The breakfast café is now on,on the first and third Saturday of every month. We need more hawks there.

king hussar

Postby king hussar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 pm

The breakfast café is on this weekend with ITV filming so we need the troops to be there, also this w/e there is an L118 light gun and a display of decommissioned ww2 memorabilia, we need hawks there as we are out numbered by the ra so come on down the food is free.

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Kings Hussar

Whats the parking like

Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Parking Tony, parking, should you not be asking about a hitching-rail ?

Leyland is a bit far for me, even for a free bacon butty. That leaves the door open for all those who didn't want to see me anyway :lol:.

Glad to have something to comment on ... :!:

king hussar

Postby king hussar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Tony,
you can park on MACDONALDS CAR PARK the café is just behind it

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Well Bill I agree it is a bit far for you, but Peter requires a flash mob to publicise this.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Well Bill went to give Pete a bit of a crowd. What a brilliant idea, a joint veterans meeting place twice a month including the blind veterans. No beer, just a free breakfast coffee tea coke. Sponsored by British Aerospace.
There should be one in every city in the UK. The wives and I presume Husbands of female HMF. The fact that all Regiments are welcome makes it even better, we have all worked with other regts or know somebody in one. It would be possible if the TA centres were used for meetings like this twice a month. The only problem then would be sponsorship

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Well done Tony,

I'm glad that somebody made the effort ! Tell me, did anybody do a head count and tell the blind lads how many were there or did they have to guess according to how loud it was ? I know I'm a mean, nasty bastard, but we were all squaddies and I hope nobody has lost our sense of humour. I should hate to be politically correct :lol: :lol:.

Your suggestion that there should be such a club in every town is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the RBL who are supposed to be filling exactly that role. Having been chairman of the Berlin branch though, I can understand why some are looking for alternatives. In my experience the RBL has become over-regulated and so can hardly do what it used to do - just help ex-squaddies, without doing tons of paperwork and accounting many times for every penny and asking the committee, then London and the taxman to approve it all.

Well done also to Peter for passing the word around. I should take care with mentioning bacon butties though, certain types could think that your are all racists and trying to exclude 'others' oink, oink :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Bill
Sorry to say I was the only addition to Peter and a Biker called Si from the Hawks. They even had the Mayor, Lord Lt there. The set up is brilliant, Nobody saying put that over there etc. You just went to the counter asked for what you wanted and got it. I must say that I do not favour the RBL they still think they are in the forces. I believe that rank outside the forces is not good, having spent 2 years as a sgt troop leader a very few of those who should know better do not.

king hussar

Postby king hussar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Tony/Bill
over all there was 90 vets plus guide dogs nobody had lost the forces sense of humour,political correctness went out the window (as it should) and if they don't like bacon butties there is pork sausage and if they don't like that they are free to leave the country.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Pete Hope it continues for all times to come.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Oh, this is turning out to be a tasty subject and reminds me of my early radio op's course, using veiled speech. 90 is a good turnout by any standard and while Girl Guides would have been preferable Guide Dogs ... any port in a storm, as the Navy used to say; are we allowed to make such perverted insinuations these days ?

Life was so much more relaxed when you could call a spade a spade, talk about black-boards, man-hole-covers and black ice without some prick getting all shirty. I suppose these days even calling somebody a prick could be read as being sexist, because it presumably excludes females, but only presumably !

While I was in the Regiment we had a coloured lad who everyone called 'Enoch', after a certain Mr Powell. Enoch was a smashing lad, gave as good as he got and was liked and respected by just about everyone. I understand he later became a Barrister and has helped out a number of his old comrades and so I conclude that he was not eternally maimed by being given such a nick name, bless his cotton socks.

Then again, being British in Leyland also conjures up some less than savory memories, did they not try to make automobiles ?

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Likewise we had a lad called satch in A Sqn who was a brilliant lad, I think he was one of the first black men to join the Regiment. He held no grudge against our calling him that in fact he knew that no ill will was meant. Indeed they did Bill and trucks which at the time were good. Your shot at getting people going by your comments seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

Postby j kerwin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

Hi, Bill and Tony,
Satch was a good lad. But what about Ricky Masiah (if thats how you spell his name) one good guy and a great boxer, he would give Mohamed Ali a good run for his money.
These lads made me see it's not the colour of your skin ,but it's whats inside that counts.

Return to “General Chat”