1919 to 1939 do we never learn

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

1919 to 1939 do we never learn

Postby j kerwin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Pre WW2 the governments (of all colours) of the UK, Downsized the armed forces, while Germany built up it's army navy and built an airforce with state of the art aircraft. All with well trained personnel. The rest of Europe cut back and relied on out of date arms planes ships ect. Just like now. :shock:
Now we are to loose 56 bases :shock: and rely on part time manpower. :?
The Russians on the other hand, are building new bases all over the place. With the the best arms and planes. And bloody millions of men. :(
What next :? :?
If a conflict does happen. The yanks will again make a fortune on arms sales. And small nations will again have sold there souls to them again.

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Re: 1919 to 1939 do we never learn

Postby sammy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 pm

History is forever repeating itself, politician are renowned for their lack of understanding and short term populism.
They will wake up to the fact that Russia is rearming its force at a tremendous rate when its to late. Just this week they have announced that they have a brand new tank that is far more advanced than anything that the west has, and are to accelerate the building and equipping its army with it. Are they just rattling their swards or are they serious? It is already to late for us to equal their tanks in timely fashion.
Sammy

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:23 pm

DONT PANIC - DONT PANIC...........the world is such a mess at the moment.

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:27 am

Read the fictitious trilogy by Harvey Black. The Red Effect, The Black Effect and The Blue effect. This trilogy portrays an attack on the West by the Soviets. 14th/20th armour is heavily featured.
The scenario painted doesn't inspire any confidence in Western defences, and my conclusion was get out of the army as quick as possible, go home and dig yourself in following Bill Bentley's previous preparation advice. Look after yourself and family as best you can. The politician's will only be looking after themselves.
Most of our weaponry and tactics is probably (definitely) outdated anyway and service families aren't in general happy with accommodation etc.
Best way out of it is when it comes to a dispute, lets just have the top politicians on both sides fighting to the death in a neutral amphitheatre. Saves us being sacrificial fodder.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:16 pm

I can't think why the Russians would want to be building up their armed forces ...

Was it not a frog: Napoleon, then a kraut: the Kaisers Army, then an Austrian posing as a kraut: Hitler and nearly followed up by a yank: Patton, that each got to Moscow leaving, each time, tens of millions of dead in their wake ...
And is it not NATO that has moved into almost all of the former Soviet Satellite States and so once again encroaching on the Russian boarder.

If I was a Russian I too would be preparing myself to defend myself against western aggression !

Who can tell me when the Russians last invaded the west ?

Thanks Brian for remembering my advice which was largely aimed at staying safe as and when the electricity grid, for what ever reason, packs up. We are now, to all intend and purpose, self sufficient and ready for whatever might come. The only question is, at our age and in our condition, is it going to be worth surviving !

PS I'm glad that Trump won, the thought of another decade like the past three, sliding backwards, would have been unbearable. Did anybody actually listen to Trumps first speech after the election result ? He offered to work with all nations on a friendly basis and withdraw the US Army from most of their overseas bases, AT LAST a chance for peace ! Oh how I hope that they bugger off home from Europe, we do not need to be threatening Russia, we should be working with them.

All nations will need all of their resources to cope with the on coming climatic situation ... fighting amongst one another will only speed up the arrival of Mother Nature's Revenge :shock: .

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:22 am

Bill

My point on the trilogy was not any current threat, but the waste of UK troops in a situation that could possibly have happened, initiated by a power hungry high ranking military commander. After all, the books are pure fiction and I'm sure the author didn't serve in an armoured regiment. However, they are in my opinion, a good read.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:57 am

Bill, agree 150%. All the people who denigrate Donald Trump, when questioned have to admit they have never listened to what he has to say.
But I say he better look out for the guy on the 6th floor of any book stores he passes. He is going to upset an awful lot of people in the arms industries, just like JFK did.

Seems my new PC is working properly.

Arnie

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Arnie,

glad to see that your computer is back in action and that you are still as sharp as ever.

It's concerning to see how Obama is sliming up to Trump and the rest of the world, I bet you are right, Don needs to be very careful. If he were smacked before the handover Obama would get an extention :(. Who said: 'when your enemies praise you, you had better watch out, watch out' !

On the other hand Obama has the habit of putting a curse on his playmates:
He tried to help the anti Brexitiers by threatening to send us to the back of the queue, in trade deals, should we vote for out ... which we did !
He supported Hillary in a way that no president has ever done before ... and she lost !
And he's been sliming all around Europe and in particular around mangy Angie and so she, so full of herself after his FLATTERY, has decide to again run for election ... and she will loose, leaving Germany with an ungovernable split amongst the party's.
By then it will be irrelevant anyway because Austria, Holland and France will have changed governments and so have completely changed their attitude towards the EU.
This will leave us all in a mess and we shall need to have Russia as a FRIEND because who needs enemies when you're in a mess ?
The UK is better off out of all of this crap, we don't need to be increasing our armed forces, we have nukes and should we ever be seriously threatened: divisions of tanks on the other side of the channel we could always melt them down :shock: .

I must add that I can't understand why the government is so against Nigel Farrage, after all it was him that led us to leave the EU and that is what they now want to do is it not ? And Nigel does seem to have a very close association with Donald which surely can not be a bad thing can It ?

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Yall,

its all over but the shoo I mean shouting.
Did anybody see the submission to F/B. Was a picture of Donald Trump and the caption at the top read "My President is a RACIST" and the bottom caption read "Good job Trump takes over in January". Absolutely true.
When we get Christmas (yes we can say it again) I will get back into the swing of things on site.

In the meantime you all and I do mean all, have a very very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Arnie and Brenda :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Arnie,

it's still NOVEMBER !
Or are e-mails now being sent per ship ... like wen u was a lad :lol:

Just in case, have a good one matey, love to Bren and I/we look forward to your next post.

Lizard
Service Details: A sqd 1972 1976

Postby Lizard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 am

Happy New Year ! Bill , eggs out soon !

Return to “General Chat”