Welcome to 2018

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Welcome to 2018

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi everybody, welcome to 2018 !

Upon applying for my various pensions, last year, 47 years after joining the army, it has become obvious that the accumulated pensions can not even cover the cost of our, modest, self-sufficiency lifestyle. And, if anybody thinks that we are going to work on, a bit longer, and pay even more taxes and pension contributions, just so that we can put butter on our self made bread, think again :shock:.

For years I have enjoyed moaning about how corrupt and wrong the system in which we live is, not anymore, THEY are not worth my breath or contemplation, it's time to do something else !

So, we are planning to sell everything that we have and go on tour. We recently bought a caravan and our old car can pull it, so we are doing all of our admin and getting ready. I thought that selling the horses would be hard, one advert and they were sold the next morning, yesterday. Though I think that we will hurt a while longer, my horse was born here, on our plot, as were her 4 siblings, so they were like children to us. :( .

I'm also expecting it to be hard to sell our house, which we designed ourselves and which took me 10 years to complete, doing 90% of the work myself, and our extensive gardens and orchard which have fed us throughout. Water was never a problem, you should have seen me sweating :lol:.

If we can get our asking price, and all goes well, we hope to head South, from Berlin, around Autumn. Over into France, across to Spain & Portugal, and aiming to over-winter right and left of Gib., as the wind blows us. Our interests are: Beautiful nature, the bird and the bees, wildlife, especially wild living wolves and bears, archeology, Stone & Bronze Age sites, high quality organic food, plonk and of course horses. So, if any of you have any useful tips of where to go and what to see, we shall be most grateful.

I hope that you all enjoy this year as much as we plan to, welcome to 2018 !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Re: Welcome to 2018

Postby Arnie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 am

Best of luck Bill in all your and Rahi's endeavours.
Was going to say, give the Middle East a wide berth but you have been living in an EXPANDED Middle East for years, so know all about it.
Take your Kalashnikov and plenty of ammo.
Don't forget to take notes of all the adventures and make some money off the book you should write. In fact spend a bit of time in your preparations to try and get sponsors for the book, (don't forget your mate who 'walked ' round the world). Did he have an agent? Must have done to get all the TV interviews booked.
Use some of the profit from the sale of the house to get a reliable, strong, diesel engined SUV so you and Rahi can travel in style and comfort.

Anyway best of luck and Good Fortune. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Arnie

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Bill
What can I say. As our John would say Prep, Prep, Prep. But you could cuff it and let your minds decide as you go. You have a decent amount of time to plan where you want to go. You could visit the south of france and see those famous horses. How about down to Gib for the winter then up to the Scandinavian countries for the summer. You could also do England and Scotland next year calling in to the Blackpool reunion to see your pals you served with.
Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Dear Arnie & Tony,

our car is a 4x4 with a dif-lock: Kia Sorrento and can pull 3,5 tons, it's been used to pulling a double horse trailer and utterly reliable in spite of it's years. I would happily call it a Stalwart, like you two guys, great Stalwarts !

Following next winter in a warmer climate we do indeed intend to head to the UK around Spring time and spend a couple of months knocking on the doors of old friends and we shall most certainly visit the Manchester and Preston areas and arrange a couple of get-togethers via this site. Unfortunately other commitments require that we are back in the Berlin area by October 2019, so we sadly can't make the reunion. At some point we really want to get up to Tromso and spend a while watching the Northern Lights, but it won't be a long stay as I am very sensitive to the cold these days. Thereafter it will be back down South, somewhere where nobody gives a shit about politics and people are not killing each other.

I shall keep adding to this thread for as long as I get replies and so keep anyone who is interested up to date. With regards to Prepers, the Boy Scouts say 'Be Prepared', Para Regt says 'Ready for Anything', lessons hard learned will never be forgotten :wink: .

Stay safe and make the best of what's on offer ...

Bill

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Bill

I think you are getting the reunions mixed up. The one I am talking about was started by the lads a number of years ago. It is held in Blackpool about the end of april every year. About 3 to 4 hundred turn up last year. It starts on a Thursday and the final night is Saturday. Everybody stays at the Imperial except me and a few extra people who stay at a B & B across the road, 15 Metres from the IMP. Mainly it is first name terms but you get the Odd one who thinks he is still in. They are all getting on a bit and come from all over the world ..Did you come from Manchester Then?

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi Tony,

thanks for wising me up, you are quite right, I was thinking of the Northern Reunion. I need a bit of time to sort out my plans but I will certainly earmark the Noahs Arc Reunion once the dates are out. Does your John go, we were good pals and it would be great to see him again. Much of my mothers side of the family came from Blackpool, my Dads from Manchester where we grew up, so half of my gang still live in both places. I was born in Gorton but moved to Chorlton-Cum-Hardy in 1960/61, so yup, I'm a hairy Monster from 200 miles up the M6.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Bill
I live in Levenshulme. A few of my cousins live in gorton. I was pretty sure that you did not know about Blackpool, which is why I let you know about it. John was at last years do, I think he will be at the next few. He remarried but I do not know her. Was out with him after the Rememberence Service in Albert Square last year. He has a habit of if anyone asks me a question he answers them. At the last Blackpool do I was talking to Ian Tennant(colonel) at the bar,
he was a young subaltern when I first met him I was troop Leader (33) with Jack Balmer as my Troop Sgt. I must point out I was a Sgt at the time. all of a sudden John was stood behind me when Ian asked me question John answered. Well that's about it.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Tony,

I'm glad that John is in good hands AGAIN, how many times is it now ? I knew his first wife, though I can't remember her name any more, we were all together down in Lulworth. Is his new lass Yolander ? At least he was with her last time we had contact but I have lost his e-mail address somehow. Try to get him to send me a pm with his address and I'll drop him a line.

Regarding his odd ways, he always had more than a few, perhaps that's why we got on so well. I'm a bit of an odd ball myself, so I am :lol:.

Ian Tennant was not half a bad Rupert, I was his gunner for a while and he was pretty nuts as well. In Höhne, Scorpion, he had a line of tracer all the way from the end of the GPMG to the target, the barrel was glowing. The C.O. went nuts over the radio. How can anybody not like that type of guy.

My best to John ...

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Bill

Her name is Lisa. I have never met her probably no fault of hers. I don't think he likes his sisters, when I meet them they never speak about him. I will pass on your message, but that will probably mean I will not be in touch again. He never liked my girl friends or mates, so he will no doubt have a dig. I will send it in about 10mins because I am filming tomorrow. I hope he sends you a message as he tends to forget now.

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Bill .

The dates for this years reunion are 19-21 April if you go on the home page there is a link with dates and activities.

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Bill

I sent John your message about email. I also tried to phone him using the Facebook phone facility he hung up. So either I have upset him or he has cut me off, his loss.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm

thanks for the dates, but our first opportunity will be 2019 ... all being well :).

Tony,

the Eagle has landed, cheers mate :wink: !

FERDY
Service Details: 1963 - 1977
Catterick, Benghazi, Tidworth, Paderborn, Ireland, Perham Down,Ireland, Herford, Bovington. (Can't remember the order though, Brain Dead !! ) Oh and a lot of time spent at Bisley !!

Postby FERDY » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Bill

The dates for next years Reunion, Reunion number 23 ( 2019 ) are provisionally set as Thursday 28th, Friday 29th, and Saturday 30th March 2019, although I have yet to sign the Contract with the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool, it is pretty much 100%, Everyone seems to like the place, and I have had an awful lot of requests, not to move it !

The proven Format is Thursday, arrive drag up a sandbag etc, Friday the bulk of people arrive and it is a themed entertainment evening with buffet, the Main event is Saturday Night, when, booted and suited we all sit down to a Gala Dinner, toasting absent friends, speeches etc, I think, last year some 325 of us sat down, unsure of this years numbers as yet, as there is still a little way to go, and there is always a last minute rush for seats and accommodation!,

The Hotel tells me, that our allotted number of rooms are effectively already full for this year, (Reunion 22) so I may have to get my begging hat on again, and see if I can talk them out of anymore !

This Years bash, number 22, is 19th, 20th, 21st April. It would be really nice to to see you, if you were able to make it, I am sure there will be a lot of people there that you know. After many years, we are now beginning to see some of our old leaders ? return, and thoroughly enjoy themselves.

The latest to say he is coming, amongst others is Brigadeer John Smales, I don't have the full list as yet, but from the very favourable feedback from those that attended last year, there could be a few.

The Regimental Secretary Peter Garbutt, who brought a few up with him, told me, that on the return journey down South, in his car they would not shut up about what's good time they had, at the Reunion. Peter Harman was particularly pleased as he won the top prize in the annual draw.

At the Reunions, we do operate, a 'No Rank' Policy, other than Good Manners, and civility!

Hope that fills you in a little on where we are at !
Chairman of Noah's ARC...........The Club of the 14th/20th King's Hussars :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks Pete that is rather brilliant and will help us to plan,

It will for sure NOT be this year as we are very involved preparing our patch for sale, there's an awful lot to do with the animals and machines and all of the usual handover formalities. I shall already pencil in next years dates and see if we can't plan around them. It's a double shame for me as John Smales was a brilliant boss, O.C., of mine in the regiment and in later years proved to be a loyal friend when he was DRAC, a fine man indeed !

I have always believed that old friends are no further than a thought away, but it is always nice when people actually make the effort to get in touch. As many have done thanks to this Noah's Arc website, for which I thank everyone on the administration, past and present.

Bill

PINKY
Service Details: Ex 1420H,left as a Sgt in March 2003 after 23 yrs service.

Postby PINKY » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 am

Hi Bill
I wish you all the luck in the world on completing your quest.
Please keep us up to date on your progress.
I’m actually jealous of your plan but not quite ready to undertake such a brave change as you - just yet.
I’m lucky enough to see the Northern Lights quite often each year and have attended a few Blackpool reunions- I recommend you seeing both.
Might be there myself in 2019.
All the best
Pinky

Return to “General Chat”