Kipling, Europe and Brexit

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Kipling, Europe and Brexit

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Well, Arnie, I would say it was your blushing which led us astray.
Then again it could be that most of the parliamentarians theses days don't know on which side of the fence they belong, and they are passing laws etc. that are unfit, it sure has become a strange world.
I'm sure Geordie had heard of Kyties, as we used to call them, I certainly had, but until you get up face to face with one you can't believe that a guy could look so good, damn it !
And these days Berlin is full of them, except that the european kyties usually have a stubbly chin, yuk !

So, let's get back to clean living and slagging off those who are leading us astray in other ways.

Poor old Mrs May is in a right pickle, and it's not even her fault, she took over the helm from Cameron who had called and lost the referendum. It's one hell of a job, I hope she can hold out because the alternative is desperate. In my view it is far too late to turn around and I wouldn't want to, full steam ahead is the way to ride a storm wave.

As I have said: Europe is falling apart, with or without the UK/GB, the question is do we want to be dragged down with them or go it alone and try to get through on our own ? It will certainly be less complicated. Europe has become like an old Chinese parliament which is unable to make a decision, because there are too many different interests and the demands of the people are insatiable. We shall all have to tighten our belts before this storm is over and many of us will not get through, but hey ho, that's the way it goes. Rather go down with a sword in my hand screaming obscenities than curl up in a corner and starve. Up and at 'em ... HUSSAR.

Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Postby Hawk195 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Bill

We seemed to have got at a stage where we could start Trade Talks. Then what comes Hard Borders in Ireland. Just listened to the news and it seems that Teresa has 3 days to sort it out.
A word is enough for a wise man

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am

Hi Tony,

good job that you are staying on track, Arnie was trying to lead me astray :lol: :lol: ...

Yes, poor old Mrs May is getting battered from all sides and now, it seems, somebody wanted to bump her off. They say that what does not kill you makes you tougher.

Personally I honestly don't know how she does it, meetings here, meetings there, trying to sort Brexit out, trying to run a country on the side and having hardly anybody she can trust to delegate to. And we used to think that there were backstabbers in the army, nothing compared to those traitorous bastards.

As far as I am concerned, she took over a ship which Cameron ran aground, just before a waterfall, because HE had steered the wrong course ! Mrs May is doing her level best to get us back afloat; because we can't go on land for all sorts of good reasons, and as there is nobody else able or willing to do the job, everyone MUST do as they are told or be charged with mutiny, :shock: which I understand still carries the death penalty :shock: :shock: :shock: . At the very least they should be put in the Tower until the business is done :evil: :evil: .

Yes this smacks very much like a dictatorship but what alternatives do we have, Boris ? Jeremy ? Do me a favour, either of them dragging us through Brexit would be a catastrophe; anyway there is no time for new elections or even a leadership contest. We are literally on the edge of a waterfall and we need every able bodied person to pull in the same direction or we shall all suffer untold harm :cry: :cry: !!!!!

It will be interesting to see what we are writing two years from now, if any of us old crocks are still kicking that is. If anybody at all has the time and where-with-all to even make a comment. If we don't get this right, life for those who get through the landing after the waterfall will be very different to what we know today.

My wife and I are making plans, she has exactly 7 more days to work and I have already stopped working. We are focusing our strength and resources and preparing to be flexible and able to 'swim ashore' and start again, away from the madness that is on its way. Who was it that very wisely said: "Be Prepared" !

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

Hi Bill and Tony,
its good to see that we three are still chatting on here!!!!!
My watching what happens in Europe and a now separated UK is one of my favourite pastimes.
An instant benefit reaped from Brexit is the sudden dramatic downturn in my (tongue firmly in cheek) favourite people wanting to come to join you all in UK. I wonder if they smell something in the wind. Not you of course Bill, unfortunately you still have Frau Angela, who seems to be inviting another group of people, eventually headed for the crematoriums.
I suppose its only right, for the Wikipedia definition of Semitic or Semites is anyone speaking a specific group of languages, Hebrew, and Arabic are the two main languages, although there are others. So anyone taking on these Arabic speaking Muslims is by definition anti-semitic.
I do hope that Theresa May turns out to have the same strong backbone that The Iron Lady, ie., Margaret Thatcher, had. She was my hero.
Bill, never was in the scouts but I assume it was Baden-Powell who said "Be Prepared".
I said above 'one of my favourite pastimes', the other is studying the quagmire that is American politics. I think you younger ones will find that at the end of the day President Donald Trump will have been THE best POTUS of all time and that Barry Soetoro was without a doubt the absolute worst. In 2008 I was prepared to give him a go. But Uuurghh!!! he ruined the US and devided the country even worse than the Civil War and slavery did. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway sermon for the day over. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Arnie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am

Arnie,

got to agree, it is fun and enlightening to chat with you guys !

And we get cleverer every day it seems ... so what's a POTUS (not in my dictionary) and who is/was Barry Soetoro ?
I have got my hands and head full just trying to keep up with what our own nut cases are doing or not doing.

2 x full marks:
Baden-Powel and yes, undoubtedly Margaret Thatcher was the best politician in our adult life time !
She was the last person who you thought you could trust, you might not have liked what she did, but she did what she said and that's worth a lot. It's utterly wrong for people to blame her for todays problems, yes, she started privatization because it was right at the time and yes it's gone totally haywire. But why have all of those useless twats, who have been in power since, not corrected the course and reigned in those who have ruined millions of lives !

Time will tell whether Mrs May is made of the same stuff, I do hope so !

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 am

Hi Bill
Just a quick bit of help POTUS is president of the US Trumps callsign

Tony

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Bill,
I know Tony has answered the question but to repeat (P)resdident (O)f (T)he (U)nited (S)tates, which is the acronym for all POTUS nowadays. Barry Soetoro was one of the aliases used by Barrack Hussein Obama. His mother ended it with his father, a Kenyan Muslim also called Barrack Obama, and then took him from Hawaii to Indonesia where he lived and was schooled for a number of years. Whether he took up the name of of the muslim she took up with, I don't know, but while in school in Indonesia he was registered and was called Barry Soetoro. He has nearly told as many lies as HRC has, many of them about his origins.

Hear endeth the history lesson. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Arnie :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Well, that's a bit easier to understand now :?.

POTUS: not at all sure that Trump will be that good Arnie.
It's true that he is 'trumping' Julius Caesar in his policy of divide and conquer, well, on the divide bit anyway ... i.e. moving their embassy to Jerusalem, etc., etc., but I don't think he has a clue about fighting. The yanks might be able to twiddle about with their joysticks, if they can ever get their hands off their pricks, because most of them are fat, useless wankers. Even those that score a hit break down in tears and then need a lifetimes psychotherapy. Their drones and ammunition cost so much that they will go broke long before they can win any conflict. Have the yanks ever won a war ? Has anybody worked out how many ICBM's he would need to flatten North Korea, now that will cost a pretty penny, not to mention the invalidity claims from the survivors. I suppose that's where the 4x2's come in, lending them some shekels. But they also want their money back, or the pound of flesh directly next to the heart :shock:.

As for aka Obama, I too thought that he was civilizations last chance of recovering and I too was utterly disappointed, along with most of the peoples of the entire world :cry:.

As for mangy Angie, she is history, there is no way that she will survive another term. The problem is she assassinated all of her potential competition years ago and now has no suitable replacement. The kraut coalition thought they were being clever, before the general election which went so badly wrong, and they forced Frank Walter Steinmeier into becoming the Bundespräsident. This opened the door for that Europe fanatic Schulz to take over the SDP, now he has been exposed as being anti German, his heart beating only for an open Europe, so he's not going anywhere. The other parties are STILL all too small. The Greens and the Lefties are out, as they insist on letting in, not only millions more migrants, but their entire clans as well. This does not please the vast majority of Germans who's own schools, hospitals and houses are full of non-contributers. I must correct myself there, they do sort of contribute - from the full pensions or social security which they have been awarded, with bonuses for disabilities and PTSD etc., something that HONEST hard working Germans can't get because the waiting-rooms are all full of migrants and the money is all gone. Unless you are a millionaire, then the FDP will give you a tax break, which the few remaining workers are supposed to pay for, so there's not much support for the FDP either.
So it's anybody's guess how things will turn out, but, it's the hard right wing, the AFD, that are giving the working people their only hope :shock: :shock:.

By the way, has anybody heard anything about Catalonia, or the other rebels in Spain, France, Holland, Belgium, Poland, Austria, Italy, Hungary, Greece ? No ... mm'mm, that's the free and open press deliberately suppressing the news ... we Brits and our bloody Brexit are the only evil doers, it seems :evil: :evil:.

We are better off out, WTO rules, then we can sort out our own problems without having to ask a bunch of lunatics for permission.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Bill
The Catalonians have been crush before they began. It is amazing how many countries do not like the EU but do not do anything. Nato was good until the European Army was suggested, It would not work if each countries had to work under another countries rules. Will some body tell Blair to keep his nose out of our trough. He is not wanted, let him go after the Bigger Troughs like Russia China and America.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Tony,

when you talk of the devil ...

This morning, in the news, they reported that 45,000 Catalonians marched through Brussels to protest about their President having been deposed by the Spanish authorities. When 45,000 people pay to travel a thousand and more miles to protest ... I don't think it is over yet !

In Poland they have just shuffled a few seats to try and please somebody in Brussels, but their direction remains anti-centralization (anti-Brussels) and no acceptance of unwanted migrant quota's, as well as remaining, what some would call, the far right wing.

In Brussels they have also rotated a few seats and so a few lunatics have been moved aside, we shall have to wait and see if the situation improves ...

And Mrs May has had an early morning meeting in Brussels which might have made headway, we shall see.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 am

Well, well, well,

could it be that Mrs May is achieving Mr Kipling's standards ...

No you bone heads, not 'baking exceedingly good cakes' ... But doing exactly this:

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

In any event she is through to round two !

When some said that we should pay nothing and Europe said we must pay 100 billion:
She has come out with, they are saying, less that 40 billion, now that's not bad negotiating in my books.

Europe now says that 'with the trade deal things will get a lot harder', I'm trying not to laugh out loud, because we buy a lot more from them than they buy from us, so I have to ask myself: just who is going to have to be nice to whom ?

As for alignment, we are already fully aligned before leaving, so this just means 'no changes going backwards', I can live with that, who wants to go backwards. In future we shall just have to eat our own NATURALLY moon shaped cucumbers and bananas imported from places that the EU can't buy from, because of their regulation insanity. That's a big step forwards for us.

There's still a tough sticking point regarding the internal Irish border (thanks Arnie) but I'm sure she has something up her sleeve:
No North / South border, no border in the middle of the Irish sea can only mean: Customs on entering UK ports. One clearance lane for Brits - Northern Irish and another for 'all others' including the southern Irish: all europeans and everyone else, perhaps we should copy the yanks and call them all 'Aliens'. In any event we get back full control of our own GB borders.

This will make NI a smugglers paradise, bringing EU goods across into the north and passing them off as NI manufactured goods for import into GB. In any event golden times ahead for N.I.

Another point to note is: Brits living in the EU, by a certain date, still to be decided, will be allowed to stay there, so if you want a retirement / holiday home in the sun, buy it quickly and register there ! The only important new restriction is: you will no longer be able to move to another EU country as you can now. So what, how many of us normal working people can afford several dwellings ?

In my book it's round one to Mrs May, bless 'er.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi Bill

I agree she did a good one on this deal. But the one who has to be watched is Barnier? the EU opposite to Davies. By going for a soft border as you said Customs at all landing points. Maybe the hatchet mob will now let her get on with it. I do not like Gove ambition but would not make a good leader to my mind. The one thing I do Not like is the extended period we will tied to the EU. This could be a way for the EU to screw us, Making the break then because we cannot make progress immediately people will think we have made a mistake and say let go back to the EU.

Tony

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Bill

Mrs May said there had been some give and take to the negotiations the way I look at is that we gave and the EU took.

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am

On the two Tony's,

Tony Binns,

I think that you have it pretty well summed up, as far as anyone can read between the lines. The biggest problem is our own people, everyone wants immediate results but that's hardly ever realistic.

Being a self-sufficiency farmer I am well aware that you reap what you sow and you have to ensure that the conditions suit whatever it is that you have planted. Too much wet, dry, hot or cold can all ruin your efforts, as can the neighbours cats, moles, birds, fungi and a thousand other things and only if you understand what you are doing and get it all right, the reward, after months of hard work, is good healthy food :D.

In life we NEED very little: clean air, clean safe water and a shelter on a plot of land. The land will feed and cloth us, if we treat it well. Is that not the paradise that we all dream of ? But how many are willing to do all of the hard work ?
The next form of 'enjoyable life' is being a nomad, constantly on the move, harvesting what mother nature provides and moving on before the plot is exhausted. So why does everyone hate gypsies ?
And why does everyone hate pirates, because they steal ... the goods that the empire makers of this world have already stolen from somebody else; is it a crime to steal stolen goods which have been produced by slave labour ?
The simple answer is: because Gypsies and Pirates don't pay taxes and so everyone is jealous, especially the governments of this world !

The system under which we all live is a monster ! Alone with income tax and VAT almost a half of what you earn has been withheld, forget all of the hidden taxes like energy tax: on electricity, gas, coal, petrol, diesel, etc. etc. etc.. To all intent and purpose we are all the slaves of those who accumulate wealth !

Tony Woods,

above you can see how much regard I personally have for money. So what, Mrs May has agreed to cough up a tiny bit of what is, in any event, 'stolen money'. You don't think that if we/she had kept it all, that one single penny would have gone to help you personally, or me, or Tony Binns, do you ? That money goes to pay EU pensions, not mine I might add, I paid the German pension INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS and so what I get is due to me for premiums paid. NOT so the EU parliamentarians, they never paid a fucking penny in, but will get paid out from our taxes !

But, that's the system under which we all live and Mrs May is fighting like a warrior for me, you and everyone who prefers decentralization ... from Europe that is ... let's not mention Scotland or Wales or any of the other independence seeking regions of Europe / this world.

She has to play the cards that she has been dealt, as we all do, and how she plays will affect all of our lives for a long time to come, moaning at her and stabbing her in the back is hardly likely to encourage her to play well. We MUST get on with the job at hand, our backs are against the wall, if we do not 'charge as a single body' the firing squad will mow us down while we hesitate. So it's up and at 'em ... HUSSAR !

rick aindow
Service Details: 1965 - 1980 started with C Sqn, went to A Sqn on promotion, finished in HQ Sqn Families Office. Postings inc. Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, NI, Tidworth, Herford, Various annual Snow Queens, 63 Army Youth Team, RAC Display Team, Hohne, Bovington

Postby rick aindow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 am

I always thought that the Kipling saying was this...

IF you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs
you probably haven't grasped the situation

Have a great Christmas everyone!
From Brisbane Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next

Return to “General Chat”