Wilderness

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Hawk195
Service Details: 14th/20th Kings Hussars 1960 to 1973

Wilderness

Postby Hawk195 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Good to see we are at least getting a near force of one each day sending messages. For those ex country, the weather is raining in the north west the best part of the county of the of the red rose. As a tv spoiler a mad cow jumps of a bridge. The film industry are still using the north west and east due to being the northern power house,
which we always knew it was. Chicken is a bit dodgy. if that does not get some reaction I think I will emigrate.
Tony
A word is enough for a wise man

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Re: Wilderness

Postby Bill Bentley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Better do it quickly Tony,

there's an f'in big storm called 'Ophelia' on it's way to and through Ireland and the West coast of England. The last big storm here, last week, Xavier, ripped through our area with a vengeance, the authorities expect to be clearing fallen trees until xmas. Even the railways were literally off-line for almost a week. Across from us a giant oak split, one half landing on the church roof then rolling off and utterly destroying the main, brick built, entrance, several other very large trees also littered the church yard.

Personally we got off very lightly with just s few hundred kilos of twigs and branches blocking our driveway and my sweetcorn was flattened. Our ca. 50 fruit trees lost all of their fruits but were undamaged as such. Amazingly our poly-tunnel laughed off the 130 kph winds. In any event Sunday was cancelled and chain saws were zumming from dawn till dusk for several days. Our neighbour lost a 30m pine and several smaller trees which fell parallel to our fence, lucky eh !

Of course it all has nothing to do with climate change, ask big Don.

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Bill
I Knew you would be the first to respond. My Pear Tree was stripped of Fruit over the last few day, But that could have been the local kid. But it is leafless just the branches are still there. Just spent the last couple of days filming
in Manchester luckily inside a building. I went to the area set aside for lunch and bumped into Timothy West( He is not in the film, just happened to be walking passed). The rain is on and off bad summer bad winter. we may get others going with the weather bit

Tony

j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

Postby j kerwin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Tony,
Come to morecambe. The sun always shines and it never rains :D :lol: The grass is always green, you can see it under 6 inch of water. :lol:

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi John
Went there once in the early sixties to see Mike Sarne. Bob Hetherington lived in Lancaster, Dave Gallagher in Salford me in Manchester. Bob stayed at ours and we met up with Dave and spent a couple of days at Bobs.
Not been there since. Sorry forgot Stan Huggins who married Bobs sister. Not seen any of them since.

Tony

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:30 am

Tony, not 'the' Mike Sarne !

Famous for his song...
'If there's one thing that I like, it's a burn up on my bike, a burn up on my bike that's wot I like,
Na the M1 ain't much fun till y' try and do a ton ... etc. etc..

Really used to get me going when I was a young biker, ah the wind in ones hair ... before the bloody helmet laws !

John, that's promising ... that you can still see the grass through 6" of water, with all of the plastic and turds floating in it, probably all been illuminated with waste from Sellerfield :lol: :lol:

Tony, again,

obviously your long term memory is working well, if you can still remember people from the 60's that you haven't seen since, what were you doing yesterday ? I'm always amazed, in these crimi films, that people have an answer when the cops ask: "and where were you at 7 o'clock last Thursday" ... I wouldn't have a f'in clue :lol: :lol: .

Though it's not easy to oversee how the climate is testing us 'want to be' farmers. Having seen Bob H's grapes , in a previous thread, I was waiting and waiting until mine were also worth a photo, but then they went moldy on the vine and then all fell off in a previous storm ... next year Bob, next year.

As for pears, I was a bit lazy this year and just gathered my windfall pears, from my oldest tree, 160 years old it is said to be ! I chucked them in a wheelbarrow, where they remained for far too long, got rained on and started to rot. Then, one day the sun came out and some butterflies gathered to drink the juice, so I left the wheelbarrow where it was. Within a week of sunshine there were simply hundreds of butterflies and it was a delight to walk past as they would swarm up almost blocking my view, some even landing on me, seemingly grateful for their feed. What was interesting is that they were mostly the red and black types, Admirals and Peacock's eye etc. and whist they were there in such numbers there were almost no cabbage whites which are a major pest for us and almost no wasps of which we usually have a great many. I asked myself if the one sort keeps the others away, as once they vanished the cabbage whites and wasps reappeared 'mmm :idea: .

I guess that age is catching up on me at last because I just don't seem to be on top of things these days. Hope to be retiring early next year and we are busy making new plans ... you won't believe what our next project is, but I'm keeping it to myself until we are certain ... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi Bill

It was the Mike Sarne with the Famous " Come Outside" song. The guys I was talking about were ex 14/20, we were on leave from Cyprus I think. Bob married Dave Gallaghers sister. Let me guess what you are going to do: Buy a mobile home and travel the world. Yes Butterflies are getting rarer than ever only seen two this year, same as the Bee's. Today it is going to be 60 degrees F +. result of Ophelia.

Tony

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi Bill

It was the Mike Sarne with the Famous " Come Outside" song. The guys I was talking about were ex 14/20, we were on leave from Cyprus I think. Bob married Dave Gallaghers sister. Let me guess what you are going to do: Buy a mobile home and travel the world. Yes Butterflies are getting rarer than ever only seen two this year, same as the Bee's. Today it is going to be 60 degrees F +. result of Ophelia.

Tony

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am

Tony,

How on earth do you think that 'a want to be farmer' could manage to buy a mobile home and be away much of the time ? I saw the world as a young man and to be honest 'we have the best part of this globe'. Anyway I'm too slow these days to keep learning new languages.

Unfortunately this modern world is far too complex and I crave only simplicity. In my fathers day he was still using his own grandfathers hammer, screwdriver and spanners, these days they only produce crap that breaks as soon as the guarantee runs out, if not before !

I would gladly still be using those same tools but THEY have changed the sizes, no longer AF spanners in fractions of an inch. Modern screws are designed to be fitted ONCE, try refitting something and the head of the screw chews up or the bit breaks; I have about 80 different bits, the more common ones several times over because they are so unreliable - CRAP !

On top of which, we are poor farmers, our only asset being the land which feeds us and we have spent a good ten years building a fantastic domicile in a perfect situation ... who would want to move from there/here ?

As for Ophelia, the Paddy' are hoping this is 'a once in a lifetime event', just like the 'hundred year floods' which happen every couple of years. Climate change is here to stay ... but I've mentioned this often enough have I not.

Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts, it will change soon enough and who knows what will follow ...

j kerwin
Service Details: 2RTR NI. 1962 to 1966 A sqn 14/20kh Libya cyprus (un) perham down.

Postby j kerwin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm

too right Bill. I tend to buy the best tools That I can afford. and always have done, most of these are over 50 years old and made in UK or Germany. and they outlast all of modern crap from china.
I've just replaced my state of the art, fancy lawn mower with an old push machine that's almost as old as me (antique). And it does a much better job.
Perhaps I could do the same with the wife.!!! Hope she don't read this or my tool might get broken.

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

John,

were you not in HK ? In which case I'm sure your 'tool' will have been galvanized in China, so to speak, and so will have passed it's sell by date anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I too have tried to buy as good a quality as I could afford, I ran my own building business, on the side, whilst I was surveying, and I used to think that my workers were too rough with the tools etc., but when I started doing everything for myself, I realized that the tools are inferior to their predecessors. Built in obsolescence might be very effective at forcing people to re-buy and so keep the market place a-booming but it is, in my eyes, a sign of a very sick society, 'the throw away society' and is the root cause of, for instance, the plastic waste in our waters etc. etc. etc. .... But I have mentioned all of this before, have I not.

j kerwin

Postby j kerwin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:56 am

bill,
like all good things made in manchester :D . maybe a bit old hat but still in good working order :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:41 pm

We are not getting any updates here on what happened during your storm, Ophelia.
Regarding our storm Xavier, they are reporting that just in our county and just in public parks and on the alley's (roadside trees), 56,000 trees came down; no problem getting firewood next year then eh ! :wink:

Tony,

now that you have topped ten replies, will that prevent you from emigrating ? If not, I understand there are lots of empty dwellings going cheap in Rumania :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Hawk195

Postby Hawk195 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi All 2 of you
No I Will not be emigrating now we are 3. Reference Ophelia the only thing that was rattling was my sky AE. We then had Brian, we have another two due this week. I have sent other bits of rants, but it seems that the great editor in the sky keeps redacting them. If we are to be edited because of the content subject , I will withdraw and leave you to argue with John. The storms seem to be coming further across the Atlantic this year.

Tony

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I blame Donald Trump for not letting all the hurricanes into the USA :) :) :)

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

Return to “General Chat”