Good investment

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Good investment

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:05 am

If I were to tell you to invest in a certain deal and, after just 3 - 4 months, promise that you would get back between 5 and 20 times your investment, what would you say ? ...

Well I know of such an investment and it does not matter how little or how much you invest the margins remain the same ! ...

By investing in this idea you get free entry on to a fitness program and are guaranteed to loose weight and become healthier ! ...

This investment even has a 'hard times bonus', paying extra dividends when the general economy goes into turmoil ! ...

So, who wants a slice of this fantastic offer ? ? ?

All you have to do is plant a, or some potatoes. You don't even need a garden, you can plant a single spud in a bucket on the smallest of balcony's and get between 5 and 20 spuds back after just 100 days. Doing this 'extra work', best done outside in the fresh air, will preoccupy you and stop you 'nibbling' and so you must loose weight and so also become healthier. During hard times you will still have something to eat. Potatoes contain all the nutrients that you need to survive, can be prepared in at least a hundred ways to suit every taste and are my favourite food:

Put chopped rosemary and garlic with a splash of cooking oil in a plastic bag, add raw potatoe wedges and manipulate until all of the wedges are coated with the oil etc. spread on an oven tray and sprinkle with crystal salt, then pop in a pre-heated oven at ca. 200 °C for about 45 mins. delicious :!:

Go on, treat yourself, spoil yourself - plant some spuds and enjoy eating them :wink:

sweetpea
Service Details: Jan 1971-1977
B sqd 2nd troop Honk Kong,Herford, stables
C sqd sqms Cyprus UN
Bovington

Re: Good investment

Postby sweetpea » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 am

Hey!

I do all that Bill, my problem is I like to eat em too.......MMmmmm Chips!!!
Northern boys love gravy

mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Postby mick burgess » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi Bill
What a brill idea I have about 4 rows of Charlotte up in the veg patch.
Tomorrow will dig a root and try your recipe we normally just use mint and butter after boiling them whole.

Take care chef !!!!
Mick & Marion :roll: :lol:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am

sweet pea,

yup, mushy peas and chips, working mans grub !

Mick,

glad that you liked my posh version of 'working mans grub'.

We tend to get different sorts of potatoes here, so I don't know the Charlotte, though she sounds delightful :shock:.

For sure having the right sort of spud is a great advantage, did you know there are over two thousand sorts !

There are special spud producers, here and in the Uk, who hold stock of a couple of hundred very different types, not just 'hard or soft boiling'. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and colours ! It is said that the darker the colour the more goodness is in the spud, red and violet sorts spring to mind, The violet spud looks like an almost black beetroot, but tastes just like an ordinary spud.

Some years ago, along with some friends, we selected six different types, cooked them and did a blind tasting. Surprisingly everyones first choice was the 'Mayan Gold', which originated in Scotland. What a delicious spud, creamy and rich, as if you had already put salted butter on it ! Since then it has been our largest crop spud, I just can't get enough. We usually plant four to six different sorts and, year for year, preserve some of our own crop for replanting the following year. That's when it really becomes a 'win win' game, costing nothing but pleasurable effort.

My tip is: to make your effort doubly worth while, do what we did, find a local producer and buy different sorts, do a blind tasting and plant your favourite spuds :!:

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:08 am

Just dug up the second of my 8 rows of spuds, I told you I liked them !

My rows are only 3 meters long which makes for ease of handling and portions the workload somewhat, but most importantly: a single insect net covers an entire row, so there is almost no problem with the beetles. So, in a 3 meter row I planted 10 small spuds with a total weight of about 1/2 kg and I harvested something over 10 kg's of spuds, that's 20 times more than I put into the ground, in just 100 days.

Covering the rows not only keeps the beetles away but allows me to protect them from too much rain, frost and even heat / sunburn etc.. Cost is of course a factor but the nets last a couple of years and can then be used as insulation during the winter.

To date I have not yet dug my potato bunker, one day, one day, God willing. So I leave my late potatoes in the ground, flatten the leaves and stalks and cover them with an old carpet, insect nets, cardboard, what ever is available and then cover it all with black plastic. This keeps off the rain and snow and, as the ground is almost dry, prevents 99% of the frost damage.

You may also find seed pods on the plants, try to remove them from the ground or they will give you an unexpected crop. This might sound nice but you will not know what you have as the seed pods contain all of the DNA of all spud sorts ever found and they remix their DNA every year by crossing with other plants. It's fun to see what comes, but do this on a separate patch if you want to know what you are eating. A spud that grows from a spud is a clone of its mother spud and so has identical characteristics. A spud from a seed is experimental and you never know what you are getting. It takes breeders about ten years to develop a new sort and get it ready for marketing.

Having harvested all my spuds for this year I keep just two of each sort and replant them all in one row, with a little luck and some clever use of nets, insulation and sheeting they produce a very late crop, but they are not for eating ! These are my seed potatoes for next year. In early April I dig them up, put them in egg-trays and let them sprout before planting out according to the local weather. Again, by careful use of nets, insulation and sheeting you can ward off heat, wet and cold. Spuds like it: mildly damp, warm and dark and a good portion of compost or ripe manure, a bit like mushrooms.

This somehow reminds me of my time in the army, often ... kept in the dark and fed on shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Bill you are absolutely right there is nothing more rewarding than popping up to the veg patch as and when dig up a root pick some beans collect some mint .Then add the butter/salt and herbs mix up the gravey take the leg of mutton stand for a while carve it then sit down with a cider and family and enjoy your past efforts

What a life take care mate
M & M :roll: :lol: :oops: :cry:

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 am

As one who has the ability to kill off anything that is green(even my lawn has turned to moss) I admire and must admit to being envious of you both. I once had a veg plot at the quarter at Tidworth, spent time digging and planting, nothing ambitious just few rows of Lettice and radish and half a dozen rows of carrots, sadly was then sent to NI for 4 months, While away Sandy my wife ( a very industrious young women at the time and a little bored with nothing else better to do) decided to help me out, she had noticed me digging the patch in the garden and she had also noticed that while I was away little green shoots were coming up, thinking they were weeds she kindly set about weeding for me. It wasn't until next door neighbour one Jim Sharpe looked over the garden fence and asked he what she was doing that she stopped, and Jim pointed out that the weeds were all growing in nice straight rows and looked very much like carrot tops, by then there wasn't much left.
That was my last attempt at growing anything other than summer bedding plants.
Sammy

Bob_H
Service Details: DLOY from 1961 to 1966. Joined 1420H at Perham Down in 1966 to 1978. RAOC from 1978 to 1988.

Postby Bob_H » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 am

Garages are for cars (or storing household rubbish).

Mine supports my grape vines; green and red, desert and wine.
20170713_191856_001.jpg
20170713_191856_001.jpg (668.12 KiB) Viewed 191 times

20170801_165434_003.jpg
20170801_165434_003.jpg (722.44 KiB) Viewed 191 times

20170802_194609.jpg
20170802_194609.jpg (897.96 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Owfen born and Warburtons bred :lol:

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 pm

They look great Bob may I make a suggestion.
After you bottle it advertise it at a discount price and market it on the Noar's Arc auction.
Can we also have a free tasting at the next reunion !!!

Take care M & M :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian Moulton
Service Details: 1964 - 1973 Benghazi, Perham Down, Paderborn, Tidworth (brief 5 week stint in Hong Kong), N. Ireland

Skype name: Brian Moulton

Postby Brian Moulton » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

Bill

Does your suggestion help you "Lose" weight or make your weight "Loose" ? Can't imagine what carrying Loose weight would do for us.

Just me being pedantic.
Regards

Brian "Solly" Moulton

If it's not broke ........ Mess about with it, until it is !!

Believe it or not. I'm not Jewish.
Just a very careful Christian with short arms and deep pockets !!

Bill Bentley

Postby Bill Bentley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am

Been very busy with all of the wet weather, harvesting, etc.

Your grapes look just great Bob, I'll go along with Mick's idea and order a bottle of your best. At our place that's father-in-laws job, making the wines. He does some really good berry wines too. Anybody remember the Plough at Pitton (I think it was called) near Salisbury, they did some really good land wines.

Brian, or should I say Brain, thanks for spotting my mistake ... while I could say that I put it in deliberately just to get you back up and active I shan't as that would be untrue. Even so I'm sure we are all happy to see you back amongst the living ! All I can suggest is that you get used to it as my marbles are rattling around a bit and I keep getting my various languages mixed up. Our neighbours wife is Polish, my wife's ex's new wife is Russian, all friends, so all I can add is nastrovje or was it na-zdrowie, :? ?

Return to “General Chat”