Where are our Tanks

This is our General Chat area where you can post messages about anything and everything of interest to everyone.
mick burgess
Service Details: Joined Boy's Sqn RAC Sepy 1956
Joined B Sqn Berlin Dec 1958
Joined C Sqn Celle Feb 1960
Posted Hohne Regt came together1961
Benghazi, Cyprus, Perham Down, Lulworth,
Tidworth, Herford, Manchester, Lulworth,
Catterick, Munster 1992 KRH Lulworth.
Retired Dec 2006 after 50 years/6 months

Where are our Tanks

Postby mick burgess » Fri May 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Came across this article on the Boy's Sqn RAC site the other day thought you all might be interested in it.
Take care out there come the revolution !!!! :oops: :roll: :lol:

Subject: Where Are Our Tanks
Thought you might be interested in this. Got to keep the site active.

Ayrshire Barracks, Theatre Fleet Support Unit. BFPO 40. For now. Come on Baldsparrow, we've done this before on here and you've forgotten! :lol: You were at the time, 'pretending' it to be a hush-hush secret as to how many tanks were stored there and promised to find out from your 'secret sources'! Seems you may have done that! Only 11 tanks? We're 'missing' over 100. I had thought TFSU had around 80 there. Perhaps you could question your 'secret source' as to where they all are?
Oh, fuel tank/bag(?) problems too, on all of them. The tanks, as you've said, are not maintained and are not even exercised.
As the 100 years RTR celebrations are nearly upon one, it it a sobering thought that the UK cannot field a regiment with a full compliment of tanks (52+) and that there is no training with tanks, not even in BATUS, where a full regiment's worth of tanks could be employed if they were available. 2020 doesn't 'allow' for any 'true' armoured formations as they used to be nor as one may think they should be. true, much other training is taking place but very little of it has direct military value, unless there's a B3 Tweeting course underway, with a B2 Facebook course to follow and then a B1 Photography course so that all the sports being played by our 'trained' soldiers can be snapped and posted out to the media outlets, schools etc. "What, no gunnery practice tomorrow?". "No, no tanks available, the Reservists are playing on all six of them for the foreseeable future so, the squadron will, er, will do some orienteering and then play football, making sure lots of photos are taken and posted for our admiring public/no, scatch them, they'll be for ourselves and other regiments to view". "Remember, your task is to get as many 'likes' as you can".
Now is also the point in time perhaps, where unless reality checks are undertaken and massive re-investment is made in the Armed Forces equipment and personnel plans, one may as well wind up not just the remnants of the RTR but the entire RAC too. Everyone can become Jackal drivers and machine gunners/observers in a new version of the 'old' Recce Corps as 'that's wot will scare Putin and give us victory'!
A reality failure occurred today http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-39913552 with the chief MoD buffoon stating that the Tories would build up the Armed Forces strength to 82,000 by 2020 where the reality was that the Tories pledged in 2015 to 'never let the strengh fall below 82,000', which of course is what has happened with the current strength at under 79,000 and falling. Lies, damned lies and more buffoonery in plain view.

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Re: Where are our Tanks

Postby sammy » Sat May 20, 2017 9:20 am

Mick
There is more tanks at the Tank museum, perhaps these are counted as the UK reserve of Tanks?
Would that then make the major Tank training exercise for 2017 the Tankfest at Bovi in June, they do fire one or two blanks?
By the way hope all is well with you and all yours.
Sammy

Service Details: Jan 75 -- Aug 87 Herford Cyprus Bovington Hohne NI Catterick

Postby 27 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:54 am

Mick.

We have more horses than Tanks nowadays :oops: :oops: :oops:

YOU SIGN PHIL JONES :-( :-( :-( WE SIGN KUN AGUERO :-) :-) :-)
C.T.I.D. :-) :-) :-) ⓜⓒⓕⓒ I WAS THERE WHEN WE WERE SHIT ¿? ¿? ¿?

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Sat May 20, 2017 11:38 am

sammy wrote:Mick
There is more tanks at the Tank museum, perhaps these are counted as the UK reserve of Tanks?
Would that then make the major Tank training exercise for 2017 the Tankfest at Bovi in June, they do fire one or two blanks?
By the way hope all is well with you and all yours.
Sammy

Cheers Sammy Marions mobility not that good but nothing life threatening thank god. Put the cottage on the market last month looking for a bungalow in Dorchester or Weymouth some where flat and near the shops ,doctors, bus stop etc Hey Ho thats life.
Take care old friend, M & M

Bill Bentley
Service Details: 1970 - JLR RAC, 14/20KH, Para Sqn RAC, 2 Para, DLOY- 1990

Postby Bill Bentley » Sun May 21, 2017 2:54 am

Nice write up, thanks Mick.

My question is: Why would we need tanks at all these days ? :shock:

Back in the 80's I used to do security at the International Airshows in Farnham & Paris and as an insider one gets to see futuristic weaponry. One such rocket, fired over a battle field was able to shed some 60 individual explosive devices, apparently each able to locate an individual target and capable of destroying a tank; an entire regiment wiped out without any friendly casualties. For the infantry there was one with 600 smaller explosive charges, again an entire regiment wiped out in seconds without any friendly casualties. Of course friendly forces have to be far enough away so as not to get caught up in the action and then there would be the question of collateral damage :oops: !

Why were they not used in previous wars ? My guess is that it is purely political, if cluster bombs are banned how could they justify such a slaughter ? Such devices couldn't differentiate between civi's and civi cars and soldiers and army vehicles. Future plans however saw a time when friendly forces would each wear a sender which would prevent 'locking on' and so allow much 'closer contact use' of such weapons.

Of course the Russians have long since overcome this thousand million pound high tech investment (= waste of money), just like they did with our high tech radio systems: they simply send out blocking signals or put an atom bomb in the ionosphere and so prevent almost all atmospheric communication signals. Then, by waving flags, their own forces are perfectly capable of continuing the exercise (= war), skills which we have long forgotten !

I shudder to think what the arsenals of today have in their stores.

We have to face the facts, Tanks, like swords and bows and arrows, are a thing of the past :( ! Though I have several of each in my own 'collection', not tanks, the others :lol: .

A future war between the major powers will be utterly devastating with or without ABC weapons !

Earlier today I saw a Tory politician on TV (I missed the idiots name) say: we need to up the defense spending to 4% of GDP and while I was, and still am, for Brexit and I believe that Mrs May needs all of our support to be able to negotiate 'the best possible deal' with the 'insane Europe fanatics', throwing 4% of GDP into a black hole is more than worrying and simply confirms my belief, that, for reasons utterly beyond my understanding, :? we are preparing for war with Russia.

Oh if only we could see our way to INVESTING (= getting a return on what you put in) the countless billions of pounds into PRODUCTIVE projects: Clean energy, better education, improved medical care, better housing ... I know, I am full of shit, but let me at least dream of a world worth living in as opposed to one which is obviously intent on its own destruction :cry: .

sammy
Service Details: Joined at Bengarzi Jan 1964 served with A Squadron until May 1973

Postby sammy » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 am

Mick
Sorry to hear about Marion's health problems, I pray that you will find a place in the sun where you can both relax and enjoy your retirement, you both deserve it.
Sammy

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Sun May 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Bill
A very interesting reply mate with some common sense conclusions I have always supported the view that if possible talk to ones enemy first and negotiate even if you may lose a little face. War only breeds misery, hatred, poverty, destruction and death.
We may not respect or understand Donald Trump at the moment be why not talk to your enemies to trade negotiate and even respect their culture and way of living if it keeps the peace of the world for our children.
Thanks Sammy take care both of you.

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Mon May 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Bill, Sammy and Mick, Oh! what pipe dreams we all have. Can anybody tell me how the neutral nations, Switzerland, Sweden and others managed it. What did they do to achieve such a status? Why can't the UK do it. Yes I know that these countries also have an Army, lets face it the Swiss Army all have knives, and make a fortune selling them to their "enemies". Just puzzled how they did it. They seemed to have been as belligerent as all the rest were in William Tells day. The rest of the worlds belligerents, surely, are welcome to Russia. Wouldn't live there in a fit. Much too bloody cold for my liking.
Give me the 'Space Race' for providing jobs and wealth without threatening anyone's life, save for the odd astronaut. War creates enormous strides in inventiveness. So does the so called space race.
Like you I worry about my grandchildren and beyond. There are chinks (no pun intended) in the armour. Brexit and Trumps election are a pointer that slowly, ever so slowly, the 'worms' are turning!
Another pipe dream follows on from the old saying "Let the bastards who start the wars, fight the wars". We all know this won't happen cos these bastards are too scared for their personal safety, possibly with exception of Winston Churchill, who had to be in the action. How will they get to spend all that money made from having their noses in the trough?
There is a solution, remember these are pipe dreams, give the leaders a play station, winner takes all. Dream on Arnie.
My one Kukri, I did get two but one of the grandkids has already claimed one, wont get very far when either the Russian Bear or the Yellow Hordes come knocking at the door.

Regards to you all, and to Rahi and Marion, sorry Sammy, don't know your partners name, but regards are offered if you have one.

Arnie

mick burgess

Postby mick burgess » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Cheers Arnie
At least you will be able to cut off their ears!!!!
Sad day in Manchester what a waste of human life and all in the name of religion is there really a GOD out there somewhere and good Christians are told to forgive our enemies LIKE HELL I WILL.
Take care old friends and keep safe.
M & M

Arnie
Service Details: 14/20H, 1959-1962 Hohne, Munchen Gladbach, 1962-1964 Benghazi, Cyprus and Tripoli. 1965-1967 7 Armd Bde Soltau.
Tranferred into Int Corps. 1967-1970 NI, 1970-1971 Singapore, 1971-1972 HK,1972-1974 NI, 1974-1976 NITAT(UK), 1976-1979 Berlin, 1979-1981 Preston. 1981 Retired

Postby Arnie » Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 am

Mick,
I came to an answer to your question 'Is there a god out there somewhere?' It is a big fat, emphatic NO!!!!

Look after Marion and give her all our love. You keep yourself safe, although that seems to be a given, in your part of the country.
Arnie

Return to “General Chat”